Pine Mountain Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I hiked from Lupine Campground to Pine Mountain Ridge on Saturday. I rarely give hikes 5 stars, but this is one of them. I've looked at this ridge many times over the years and have always wanted to check it out. Given its location, I knew it would be secluded and have awesome views.

The drive from ACH to Lupine was long and rugged. There were a couple gnarly sections on 3N39 in the wash at the bottom of the canyon. They required careful maneuvering, but my 4Runner was able to handle it (in 4WD).

I forgot that it's hunting season and was surprised to see a full campground of hunters at Lupine. They were quiet and friendly though, relaxing after an early morning hunt. One of them directed me to the trailhead, which was not obvious. Despite the crowded campground, the surrounding area itself was less crowded than most parts of the ANF. I'd love to come back when it's not hunting season and see how busy the campground is.

The route is easy to follow for the most part; it goes along an old overgrown road to the ridge. The summit register is in great shape.

We didn't see any sheep, but we saw (and heard) a large hawk. That was cool.

Oh yeah, I really want to do the San Antonio Ridge traverse now that I've seen it from Pine Mountain Ridge. It looks incredible up there.

Length: 5 mi.
Elev gain: 800 ft.
Recording: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... 4-55-pm--3

IMG_1243.JPG
Left to right: Baden Powell, Vincent Gap, Vincent Gulch, Blue Ridge

IMG_1265.JPG
Left to right: San Antonio Ridge, Iron Mountain

IMG_1263.JPG
Left to right: Iron Mountain, San Gabriel Canyon

IMG_1268.JPG
Left to right: Baldy, San Antonio Ridge

IMG_1319.JPG
Lupine Campground
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

You didn't hit Wild View Peak, once you were there? It is kind of lame but it is now a named peak and is just off the ridge. I did a loop where I parked at the top and hiked down the fire road. I then hit the two peaks and took Pine Mountain Ridge up to Pine Mountain and returned along the North Devil's Backbone trail.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

David R wrote: You didn't hit Wild View Peak, once you were there? It is kind of lame but it is now a named peak and is just off the ridge. I did a loop where I parked at the top and hiked down the fire road. I then hit the two peaks and took Pine Mountain Ridge up to Pine Mountain and returned along the North Devil's Backbone trail.
No, I didn't have time unfortunately. It gives me an excuse to go back.
Sounds like a fun (and long) loop.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Nice pictures! I always meant to checkout that ridge since you can get great views of it from many of the surrounding peaks but never made it out there.

San Antonio Ridge traverse is a lot of fun, just be prepared for a bit of scrambling and a long day!