Car Break In - Altadena

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Did the toll road to Mt. Wilson a couple of weeks ago. Was gone during the day, about 8 hours and arrived back to a busted out window. Glove box, etc were rummaged through, nothing was taken. Nothing of value in the car, nothing in sight - no chargers, gps suction cups, no faceplate on the stereo, no funky antennas.

This was at the small parking area north of Eaton Canyon, on the east side of Altadena Dr.

Just a word of warning, I saw some other broken glass and a local says it's been happening a lot.

I figured one of these days I'd get broken in at the trailhead, but really didn't expect it to be at this location with all of the traffic...
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

drinkingbuddy wrote:This was at the small parking area north of Eaton Canyon, on the west side of Altadena Dr.
Was it here? http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.18429,-11 ... adena%20CA

What time did you start hiking?
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Duh, should have put up a map, it was Roosevelt, mid morning.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=alt ... 3&t=h&z=19
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

So was you parked on Roosevelt or in the dirt area across the street?
I like that map!
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Dirt area.

Also realized that I may have posted in the wrong category. 1st post, I'll learn!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

drinkingbuddy wrote:Dirt area.

Also realized that I may have posted in the wrong category. 1st post, I'll learn!
Welcome to the board and thanks for the information regarding the break in. Sorry to hear about it. I've used that parking area many many times if I can't use the Nature Center parking area (which I prefer).

As far as which category to post this in, I think this is a good spot...as long as you tell us how the hike went up to Mt. Wilson :D. Pictures and trail conditions are always cool!
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Sure, if anyone has done the Toll Rd, you know it's not too exciting. I took it from the beginning, there are a couple of slightly tricky spots across the slide, but really nothing to worry about. Lots of haze as usual, but some nice views near the top. It was clear enough to see the San Bernadinos and San Jacinto sticking above the smog. Could also just make out the top of Catalina Island.

I should also mention there were a ton of flies! Big, medium, and small. I think they pushed me to make it to the top, I wasn't so sure I was going to make it as I got up to Mt. Harvard.

And for those that don't know, there is a guided tour of the Mt. Wilson Observatory at 1pm on the weekends that meets at the pavilion. I got there just in time (12:58 to be exact) and an older gentleman did the tour and had lots of great stories. It's a great opportunity to recover for a bit before the 9 miles back down.

Here's looking east, Twin Peaks, Baldy, etc.

Click to see full size image

Looking west towards Lowe, Markham, San Gabriel

South towards Pasadena, LA, Palos Verdes and Catalina

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That sucks. :?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:That sucks. :?
Ya I'm trying to figure out how they can just do this right there with all those cars going by. I guess they just hang out and stand next to the cars for a while and see if any hikers are coming up from the canyon. Anybody driving by can't tell whose car is whose so when they break in how does anyone know it's not their car? Sounds easy. I bet it's the same people that do all the other areas.
They got the system down! :evil:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don' tthink they care. I believe they think nobody would do anything if they were "caught in the act".

Not that I'm advocating beating the shit out of people who disrespect good folks and their property...
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

It's high time for an SGMDF sting operation.
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

I figure they must have been in and out in about 10 seconds... Smash, rummage, out of there....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sounds like a plan.

I wish my car had AI, and could shoot flames out onto vandals.