Forum Group Hike on June 15th

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I am planning a group hike to Mt. Lowe, Muir & Inspiration Point. There are a couple of members who have expressed interest in these peaks and have not visited them. We will start at Eaton Saddle, continue past Markham Saddle and hike above Bear Canyon. We will check out the restored Tom Sloan trail and the new connector trail that goes to the old Alpine Tavern. Along the way we will visit a few historical sites. This will be a loop hike. If there is interest in checking out some of the other nearby summits (like Markham, San Gabriel, or Disappointment), then we can discuss it on the hike. The trip will be approximately 10-12 miles.
As we get closer to the date we can decide on a time to meet.

Hope to see you there :)
dima

Post by dima »

Do you have enough stickers for such a thing?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

dima wrote: Do you have enough stickers for such a thing?
I am still waiting for some from Simonov. I have a few.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'll join for part of this. A good carpool location is at the Verdugo Park and Ride (I-210 & CA-2).
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Start time ideas?
I am thinking between 7:30-8am?
Any thoughts?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I'm in. I'll go to Eaton Saddle, it's not the distance just the traffic on weekdays....
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

So far its 3 of us hiking on Saturday. We are thinking of starting at 7 am but that may change before the hike.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Are we supposed to stop at 7-11 for some nasty snacks?
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Is there water along the route or a place to stash? Do we need to carry enough for the whole day?
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Jeff,
First of all, you can buy last-minute snacks at 7-11 or the Shell station right off of Hwy 2. Secondly, Ralphs usually opens up at 6 am. That's my go-to place if I do not have time to prepare the day before. Also, when I hike this route I usually just bring 2-3 liters of H20 and a frozen bottle of Powerade, but that's me. The hike isn't too hard. The first 3.2 miles are flat and downhill. The Tom Sloan trail is a gradual ascent. There is a small stream off the new connector trail and near the Mt. Lowe trail. Muir peak is a very short steep ascent. Mt. Lowe trail is a steepish climb for approximately 2 miles with switchbacks on a nice trail. If we decide to check out Markham or San Gabriel Peak. then that adds more to our climbing for the day. I may change the route after we hike the two new trails. If it's only 3 of us and you do not wish to re-visit Muir & Inspiration then we can go straight to Mt. Lowe after the TST and include the surrounding peaks that you have not seen. Since I have hiked all of them, I am cool with changing it up. It won't take us all day unless you want it to :)
My original plan was to show others the new trails and peaks that they were interested in.
Do plan on bringing lunch and snacks.
Jeff, I am sure this hike will be easy for you most of all it will be fun with lots of historical sights to see.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

One of my friends will be joining us.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: Are we supposed to stop at 7-11 for some nasty snacks?

You were joking right?
7-11 is not the best but for last-minute snacks, their sandwiches are good. Just remember to check the expiration dates.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Girl Hiker wrote:
JeffH wrote: Are we supposed to stop at 7-11 for some nasty snacks?

You were joking right?
7-11 is not the best but for last-minute snacks, their sandwiches are good. Just remember to check the expiration dates.
I asked because Sean seems to like shopping there. :) He did the video with Willy about the worst food and both of them said it wasn't that bad.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, we can do a snack breakdown. But you have to buy something that you don't think you'll like. That's the game.