Mt. Lowe Summit Trails

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

This thread is for information about the three different trails to the summit of Mt. Lowe. I'll begin with a quick report on the west trail from the road above Lowe Trail Camp.

IMG_20190514_121210434.jpg

The pipe at nearby Crystal Spring is flowing nicely, so this is a good time of year to run laps around Lowe with nothing but a tin cup that you could stash near the spring. The initial trail out of the gully is deteriorating, but it's still okay. Short bits of tread have been undercut by erosion and only remain in place due to wire support structures. So be careful on the first part. The rest of the trail is generally fine, but there are several downed trees that create easy obstacles, and the top has an easy rocky stretch.

IMG_20190514_120329200.jpg

Hiking the west trail is preferable for a few reasons, especially on the weekend. The other summit trails see lots of mountain bike traffic. So it'll be quieter on the west side. Also, the west trail has more shade in the morning and afternoon, and it also has several historical sighting tubes to check out.

IMG_20190514_115823576.jpg
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for the report. I've never approached Lowe from the west. I've only approached it from the north and east.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Went up via East and then down West maybe 2 months ago for the first time. Saw all those downed trees and had a few instances where I thought the branches would rip something I was wearing! Going up the East side I was a bit wary of the initial climb because MTBers can definitely bomb down it without seeing you.