Hoyt Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I planned on hiking from Shortcut Saddle to West Fork Campground today, but the weather was gloomy and I didn't feel like hiking into a dark canyon on a gloomy day. I contemplated a few options, finally settling on Hoyt Mountain, an extremely short but steep hike.

IMG_8182.jpg
I started at Georges Gap. Who's Georges?

IMG_8176.jpg
The initial ascent is one of the steepest, non-scramble climbs I've ever done. It's comparable to the south slope of nearby Mt. Lawlor.

IMG_8174.jpg
Looking down on Clear Creek Outdoor Eduction Center. I could hear the kids.

IMG_8161.jpg
The final ascent

IMG_8169.jpg
Looking east south east from summit (left to right: Josephine Peak, Strawberry Peak, Mt. Lawlor, Red Box)

IMG_8168.jpg
Looking south east from summit (Red Box in center)

IMG_8166.jpg
Yucca in bloom

IMG_8162.jpg
Mysterious shelter

Distance: 1.3 mi
Gain: 823 ft
Total time: 1:11:56

Notes:

- The trail was easy to follow in some places and practically non-existent in others. It's on a ridge though so getting lost isn't an issue.
- I would not recommend doing this without trekking poles.
- I would not recommend doing this on a hot and sunny day (there's no shade at all).
- The detour around the highway 2 slide is really getting annoying. I can't wait until it's fixed.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I did Hoyt on Jan 1 2008. I slid down that east ridge on my butt - damn it's steep (~2000'/mile). Thanks for the TR - great views from up there!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

There are 2 of those 'shelters' next to the Rim Trail picnic area on Mt. Wilson. Someone destroyed them, and someone rebuilt them. They've each got a log placed center like a seat, but neither would provide much shelter even if covered with a tarp. I think it's some kinda cult maybe... :P
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

Yes, coming down Hoyt is the scariest thing I ever did hiking (and I did manage to do Big Iron in 2003, Rattlesnake in 2003 and 2004, and Sugarloaf via Falling Mike...er Falling Rock Canyon in 2005)...came down those standing up, but like HikeUp, came down Hoyt on my butt, too (in 2013 at age 67)...

oldcoot

_DSC6777sm.jpg
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

oldcoot wrote:Yes, coming down Hoyt is the scariest thing I ever did hiking (and I did manage to do Big Iron in 2003, Rattlesnake in 2003 and 2004, and Sugarloaf via Falling Mike...er Falling Rock Canyon in 2005)...came down those standing up, but like HikeUp, came down Hoyt on my butt, too (in 2013 at age 67)...

oldcoot

That says a lot coming from an Iron vet! I haven’t done it yet. Planning on hitting it in fall.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Tom Kenney wrote:There are 2 of those 'shelters' next to the Rim Trail picnic area on Mt. Wilson. Someone destroyed them, and someone rebuilt them. They've each got a log placed center like a seat, but neither would provide much shelter even if covered with a tarp. I think it's some kinda cult maybe... :P
Yeah, there was a creepy vibe to it. And there was some sort of tarp or fabric inside. There was also a weird smell near it, possibly a dead carcass. I was in a hurry to get down Hoyt before the rain so I didn’t investigate further.
walker

Post by walker »

Regarding the name of George's Gap, in the American Guide Series for California from 1939 there's one little shred of detail:

https://archive.org/stream/californiagu ... orge's+gap

There must be a bit more to that story...

As for those installations, seen some weird stuff like sacrificed animals out there a couple of times.

Sean, what did you do with that ceremonial goat's foot and monopoly money? ?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

walker wrote:Sean, what did you do with that ceremonial goat's foot and monopoly money? ?
Oh, I just left it there. Wasn't that on Station Ridge, though?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

walker wrote: Regarding the name of George's Gap, in the American Guide Series for California from 1939 there's one little shred of detail:

https://archive.org/stream/californiagu ... orge's+gap

There must be a bit more to that story...

As for those installations, seen some weird stuff like sacrificed animals out there a couple of times.

Sean, what did you do with that ceremonial goat's foot and monopoly money? ?
Where did you see the animal sacrifices? On Hoyt? I did smell something dead near the structure... ?

Btw, I saw another structure on the way to Mt. Mooney last year.

So that's two structures at two lightly trafficked peaks within a few miles of each other...
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Okay, I'll dig up pictures of all the religious stuff I've seen in the mountains, and we can build an archive, like with the signs.