Cucamonga 09/13/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Took my son and another 2 boyscouts and the scoutmaster Michael for their first hike in the Cucamongar Wilderness.
Start at 7:20am from Icehouse Canyon parking. Checked out Columbine Spring and quite a few older Korean folks convinced me the water is good to drink. Water is still flowing good there.

One of the scout filled his water bottle.

Got to Cucamonga peak at 11:45am, quick lunch and head back down.

It was a gorgegous day. The bug/fly wasn't bad for all of us on the trail. Glad my son and his buddies did not gave up near the summit.

On the way down, I did filled up and drink the water straight out of Columbine Spring. Wow! It was sweet and cold. None of us got sick.

CK
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

As another poster might say: the water from Columbine Spring is filtered through solid granite; it's the purest on the planet.

Congrats on making the summit.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Congrats on the summit:
I saw your group as I was headed down Cucamonga, about half way down the trail. You looked like you were moving right along. I'll bet the boys were just thrilled with their accomplishment and the view!
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

lik2hik, glad to know someone from this board hiked that day. Funny that all the boys want was lunch up on the summit. The view down the LA basin was so-so; there was lots of smog. Still a nice day on the trail.