Allison Mine to Iron Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

I'm coming out of winter hibernation, and it's time to go climb things again! Yesterday I watched a documentary about the Barkley Marathons, so today I went out and completed a mini-marathon of my own. My route was about 10% of the Barkley race in both distance and gain, yet I'm more than 10% tired. Need more training.

I vaguely recalled that people have tried to summit Iron Mt from the Allison Mine area. Looking at the map, the route is fairly clear: get to the mine somehow, climb up to point 6243 (via a ridge from the S or from the SW), then follow the ridgeline to the peak. Straightforward-enough. I didn't even bother to dig up the old TRs, and started walking at 7:30 this morning.

The water level in the East Fork is higher than usual, and unsurprisingly, the log bridges aren't there anymore. Each crossing requires a wade in the river. The "equipped" crossings have a rope strung across the river to make it easier to not get swept away. Very helpful.

I walked up to the mouth of Allison Gulch, and walked in. Lots of water there too, but more manageable. Looks like this:

You leave the creekbed in an area where the channel opens up

Next to this thing:

What is it? If you pay attention, the trail is clear on the left, complete with a pink flag

The OSM map accurately calls out the trail up to the mine. There are a number of switchbacks, and the trail is in decent shape. It doesn't get a lot of use, and it's easy to make a wrong turn in a few places. But there're a number of cairns and pink flags. And I suspect the various forks simply serve to cut a switchback, and they all go to the same place. Soon I was on top, traversing towards the mine. My visual landmark here is the big square ore hopper at this site. I didn't see it this time, and ended up walking too far: this pair of waterfalls is above the mine site:

Confused, I looked at a map, and blindly went to where it said the adits were. It told me to go somewhere that felt wrong, but sure enough, I arrived at a river of tailings with two clear adits above:

When I walked to the base I discovered that there were several more adits at ground level in this same area. I poked my head into the first few, but they were short, exploratory digs. The next had some rails ending abruptly at a spot where the adit descends

I followed this tunnel to discover that it goes all the way through, and has a second exit. I popped out on the other side of this minor ridge, at the main adit above the ore hopper. The reason I missed this thing on the way up is that it's not standing anymore, and is now comprised of a less obvious pile of rubble

I poked around some more of the shafts. Some of them are quite long, but none are very interesting: no obvious artifacts or any interesting geology inside. These are just a hole in the ground. Eventually I got back to the task at hand. From the first mine site, the slope I would be climbing was visible:

Looks kinda painful, but things often look different when you're standing right on top of them. So I went up to the ridge, found a stable-looking rock slide, and continued the climb

This looks steep, but far less so than what it looked like from across the creek. The rocks in this slide were larger than what I'd call "scree", but still small-enough to move around. If they were just a hair bigger, it'd be perfect. This was good-enough however. A bit above the mine level was another traverse trail with some cut yuccas:

This MIGHT be the old trail to the Stanley-Miller mine. I tried to follow it for a bit, but it was very overgrown. Coming back with this being the goal could be interesting. In any case, I went up. The adits looks like this from above

Eventually the slide I was climbing ended in brush. It looked like the rocks above get uncomfortably steep, so I contoured West towards the SW ridge up to point 6243. Brush was a problem in spots, and the terrain wasn't ideal, but this wasn't terrible. Once on the ridge it's brushy at first, but that clears up at ~ 5000ft:

I'm climbing up the ridge on the left, and you can see the big, final ridge further away on the right. I want to say that one of those bumps is point 7504, and that neither are the peak, but I haven't bothered to check. Before point 6243 some of the brush comes back. This is the final climb to 6243:

From 6243, the climb up to 7504 looks like this:

The beginning of this climb is the brushiest section of the route. Even that isn't terrible, though. There's a clear line in most spots. At about 7200ft the ridge from Stanley-Miller mine comes in.

I've been here before climbing up from Stanley-Miller. Climb to 7504:

Above that you can finally see the peak. And there's some patchy snow (sparse and easily avoidable).

Soon past that I summitted

Took a break, ate some food, and started the long slog back to the car, following the good trail on the South Ridge. From about 4000ft is a pretty good view of the day's route:

The bump on the left is point 6243, and the bump to the right of the notch is point 7504.

My review of this ridge is that it's really not terrible. It's long and steep, as should be expected, given this is Iron Mt. I'd say there was lots and lots of class 2 climbing, with a few class 3 sections. There weren't many of them, and they maybe could be bypassable; I didn't try. Similar with brush: some areas were brushy, but there weren't that many. This route is similar in difficulty to the ascent from Stanley-Miller. I haven't done the North ridge, so ask somebody else about it :)

Oh, and I looked up the older trip reports:

allison-mine-loop-or-failed-attempt-on- ... t5740.html

https://www.summitpost.org/iron-mountai ... ion/380222

These describe much hairier outings, so YMMV.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Great report and photos. Tekewin and I talked about exploring around there at one point but it never came together, so I'm glad to get a chance to see what it looks like!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Geez. You coming out of hibernation to stumble around the mountains in a sleep-induced fog is like me at my season's end best. LOL.

Cool report and pics. The drainage to the Stanley Miller is still on my checklist.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

From the pictures those slopes looked more like loose rock - of course you may have more tolerance for that kind of terrain. :)
btw, I liked the Barkley Marathon documentary, I watched it a few times.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Excellent trip and photos as usual, Dima! I was seriously planning to do this in about a month, but I'm not sure there is a point now (though I was going to come from Allison Saddle, not the gulch).

The entry slope to the ridge I would probably call scree. It looks a lot like the slope where you exit Falling Rock Canyon on the way to Sugarloaf. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't more class 3 based on the summitpost report, though some sections still look pretty fun.

In any case, very nice work. Somehow, when you wrestle with Iron Mountain, you usually end up winning. The best I hope for is a draw :)
dima

Post by dima »

The rock slide I climbed had larger rocks than the slope below Sugarloaf. The ones here were big-enough such that you'd slide down a little with each step, but you could be sure that each slide wouldn't be sustained, and you wouldn't flow down the hill, like you would at Sugarloaf. To be clear though, the slide I ascended here isn't the big long one in the photo (that one is too steep). I THINK it's the small one at the bottom-right. It was the start of the climb, but I got off it pretty fast.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, and I forgot to mention something interesting. So this mountain is now well-known on the internet, and people come up here a lot now; I even saw a group at the peak when I got there. But in reading the book, it looks like there're some people who now go up there ALL THE TIME. The record-holder signed in 29 times, and there were a few others in the 20s. Their quads must be huge!
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

Saw a Sierra Club group of about ~15 people climbing when I went up this time last year. Definitely getting more popular.

I'd like to try my hand at one of the NW or N ridge ascents.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

dima wrote: So this mountain is now well-known on the internet, and people come up here a lot now
Instagram
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

There are better mountains to choose if you want to still look good for the 'gram while hiking :D
David R

Post by David R »

I remember my first hike of Iron the best trail was the one leading to Allison Mine, then Coldwater, and it was actually difficult to tell which spot you were supposed to start up to Iron from the saddle. There was one legendary dude that started coming out around that time and clipped the route. He maintained it regularly for a couple of years.
dima

Post by dima »

When was that, David? I went up there for the first time in ~ 2007. The trail was clearly there, but it wasn't nearly as good as it is now.
David R

Post by David R »

dima wrote: When was that, David? I went up there for the first time in ~ 2007. The trail was clearly there, but it wasn't nearly as good as it is now.
2003 or 2004, I remember the initial climb from the saddle was difficult to follow and there was one really brushy section where the incline slacked off for a bit. At that time it was pretty much HPS hikers and that was it. I met the fellow who was doing the cutting my second time up, I believe he is mentioned in one of the HPS write-ups.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: The record-holder signed in 29 times, and there were a few others in the 20s. Their quads must be huge!
Sam Kim, who died on Baldy, summited Iron over 100 times.

Thanks for the TR!