Itchy Souls on the Waterman Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Sometimes the soul itches. Introspective types experience this phenomenon as a nagging thought that won't go away after a couple beers and a good night's sleep. It lingers in the back of the mind and then resurfaces with each iteration of the internal query, "What should I do now?"

On Saturday I scratched my itchy soul. I left the house and went in search of as much snow as I could find. Cecelia clearly suffered from the same ailment, so together we drove up the Angeles Crest Highway with a shared purpose. We hit the snow level quite quickly around George's Gap and tried to reach Eaton Saddle, but the road was still closed at Redbox. The last storm had ended only a couple hours prior, and Mt. Wilson was spectacularly covered in white stuff. Fortunately, plows were working the Crest Highway beyond Redbox, so our new destination became "as far as we could get."

Near Newcomb's Ranch the road conditions worsened a little, requiring us to slow down and watch for ice.

DSC03815.JPG

We had passed some drivers putting chains on their tires, but chains really weren't necessary. In fact, we did not slide off the highway even one time. Cecelia oohed and ahhed over the fresh, winter scenery all the way to Three Points. The parking area had not been plowed, so we parked outside the lot along the road. Beyond Three Points the highway looked somewhat dicier. So we decided to head up the Waterman Trail.

DSC03818.JPG

DSC03819.JPG

It was still lightly snowing off and on in this area. Visibility was okay, but not great for long-distance pictures of nearby peaks. I estimate the temperature was in the high 20s. At first we encountered only a few inches of snow and did not need spikes.

DSC03830.JPG

Two sets of tracks preceded our own, and we found the owners not too far up the trail, climbing rocks.

DSC03825.JPG

Due to the freezing weather, much ice had built up on the bare branches of the many dead trees.

DSC03839_stitch.jpg

DSC03846.JPG

We were pretty well bundled up, but Cecelia complained of freezing feet. I told her to knock the snow off her shoes, which did not appear to be waterproof.

DSC03850.JPG

We were now blazing trail through about a foot (sometimes two) of untrampled snow. Also, the wind picked up once we rounded the ridge, turning eastward along the south slope. We ultimately abandoned the buried trail and postholed up to the ridgetop, where we sat among some rocks and ate lunch.

DSC03860_stitch.jpg

20190209_133253_1550016955514.jpg

Cecelia played in the snow.

20190209_134752_1550017003739.jpg

20190209_140501_1550016970558.jpg

DSC03864.JPG

After a bite to eat, Cecelia said she was freezing. So we went back down the trail, stopping a couple more times to scratch our itchy souls.

DSC03869.JPG

20190209_121121_1550017037727.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

That is so cool! The rain is getting in the way of stuff I want to do, but I should just want to do other things. Going up on Sunday. :)
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I love hiking in the snow! I had lots of fun. Thanks for the adventure.
"Never limit yourself to what you can do!"
--Bart Yasso, my hero
Instagram My Blog
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

It looks so cool out there. I tried to plan a trip to Islip Saddle this weekend, but the road conditions discouraged me. Then, Baldy Road washed out, then the road to the SJ Aerial Tramway washed out, the a rock slide covered the ACH. It's going to rain again next week so the snow will be there for a while. I don't want to buy chains for the 2 trips a year I do in this weather.

Thanks for posting.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice day out there. With the road closures now getting to the snow is a little more difficult.
You didn't start out with spikes, did you ever put any on?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: Nice day out there. With the road closures now getting to the snow is a little more difficult.
You didn't start out with spikes, did you ever put any on?
We never put spikes on even though we had them. It would have been great for snow shoeing.
"Never limit yourself to what you can do!"
--Bart Yasso, my hero
Instagram My Blog