Before removing hubcap, move center screws

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

Jeremiah and I already found the F-4 and the DC9 tail impact sites from the Airwest 706 disaster. The main DC9 impact site remained elusive, but I recently got a pointer from somebody who's been there long ago. So today Jeremiah, Sean and I went back to see what we could see.

Rather than walking down a ridgeline from Mt Bliss, today we started a bit North of Mt Bliss. We climbed up and over the first bump at a bit above 3600ft MSL, and found S61:

The day was off to a good start. Contrary to what I suspected, this ridge was still in the 2016 Fish fire zone. I still feel like there was more brush here than in the F-4 area, a few ridges to the South. Maybe. Towards the beginning, the descent looks like this

The brush was heavy in places, but there was some sort of trail for much of the way. Towards the top this was a human route, complete with old brush cuts (firefighters?). Towards the bottom it was deer trails. In much of the area the path of least resistance was to traverse just South of the main ridgeline. Eventually we dropped down to the main channel in this area; the thinking was that this was the debris gully. Plenty of greenery down there, but it's passable-enough, and quite nice.

We found bones too recent to be from AirWest 706:

These antlers (my first matching set!!) are still attached to a skull fragment, and nearby were signs of the possible perpetrator

Today, he stayed low. As with the other channels draining into Fish Canyon from the West, this one too becomes more precipitous and waterfally as you approach Fish Canyon. Right around where the debris were supposed to be we hit a large dry-fall that required a wide and loose bypass. Below are a number of smaller waterfalls that actually contain water

It's a pretty nice area. Steep. The walls have that interesting texture you get in steep canyons sometimes:

I think flat rocks separate away from the dirt on the vertical wall, leaving flat-rock-imprinted dirt; at least that's what appears to be going on. No plane debris, however. I did find something buried in the streambed on the lower end of the gorgy area that was supposed to hold the wreck. After digging it out and cleaning out, it turned out to be some sort of oil pan from the DC9 (presumably). This thing holds 5 gallons of oil.

I walked downstream some more and checked out some adjoining slopes, but found nothing else. Meanwhile, Jeremiah was running an aerial survey of the terrain above, and was thinking that one of the side gullies looked right. I climbed up, and found a trickle of pieces that eventually turned into a massive debris field. There's STUFF here. Initial view:

This is a narrow gully, and you encounter more and more stuff as you walk up. Near the lower end is some steel cable, presumably involved in the recovery effort

As before, you can clearly see the different rust tendencies of various materials. Here's a hinge that looks shiny and new, but is held in place with rusted-out bolts

I'm thinking this is the cargo bay door, but maybe was a bit too small for that. Somebody suggested it was an engine cover that swings open for service. It looks a bit large for that, but maybe. Speaking of doors, this is definitely the latching mechanism for some sort of compartment:

The spike is spring-loaded, and the handle below turns it. So you can close the door without turning the handle, but you MUST turn the handle to open it. A pretty sweet bearing:

There're two wheels here:

No tires, but the second wheel is wrapped by many strands of metal cable. Perhaps this was reinforcing the rubber before it was (presumably) incinerated? That reminds me. Check out all this molten metal

Is this a fuel tank? Should maybe be bigger?

A number of pieces have exposed structural honeycomb

This is cowling for one of the engines:

Some doors:

Windows and a light:

We all know what this is:

This has seen better days, but it's a seat. Complete with an armrest, a recliner mechanism (I think that's what that spring is), and a seatbelt loop.

Here's some sort of tank. Looks exactly like a SCUBA tank, complete with a yoke valve.

This is also some sort of pressure tank? It's amazing! Even has a gauge. What is it?

More and more various stuff:

There's probably more stuff to find here if somebody wants to spend time digging. We felt satisfied, however, so we climbed out to beat sunset. But not before I grabbed my antler trophy.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That looks like a huge bunch of stuff to sift through. Not only were the bones too young to be from that plane, they had too many teeth to be passengers or crew.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

The title of your report has to do with the wheel we found, right?

Here are some of my pictures:

DSC03453-001.JPG

Closing the gate on Van Tassel Road.

DSC03464-001.JPG

Pushing through the dead branches.

DSC03477-001.JPG

Antlers!

DSC03482-001.JPG

Trying to bypass a waterfall.

DSC03502-001.JPG

Dima and Jeremiah at the crash site.

DSC03523-001.JPG

DSC03531-001.JPG

DSC03541-001.JPG

Returning up the ridge.
dima

Post by dima »

JeffH wrote: That looks like a huge bunch of stuff to sift through. Not only were the bones too young to be from that plane, they had too many teeth to be passengers or crew.
And too many hooves!
dima

Post by dima »

Sean wrote: The title of your report has to do with the wheel we found, right?
Yeah, those are the directions on the wheel. They're visible in one of the photos above.
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

I brought a GoPro and a Mavic Pro along on this trip. The trouble with video is it takes forever to edit, but anyway, here's some of the video I got during our visit last Saturday. I split it into two parts, making a total of three parts, when considered with the video from last May's visit.

They're 1080p, so watch full screen on the biggest you have handy for best affect.

Part 2 of 3

Part 3 of 3

headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Wow, talk about well documented trips!

Dima, any plans to continue exploration of this or are you finally satisfied?

stonehillnews - Very cool footage! I know basically nothing about quad copters but reading the specs on the website it's amazing what it can do for the price. I've never seen one operating up close, the take off and landing from where you guys were in that little canyon was very impressive!
dima

Post by dima »

I'm sure there's more to find, but we've hit all the major sites now I think, so I don't need to go back in the near future. Any more finds out East?
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Planning on a day trip out to Shenandoah National Park tomorrow with my wife and then possibly returning next week for a longer solo day, schedule permitting. I have a couple of short trips I've been saving up that aren't really worth a new thread all on their own, just need one more to hit that critical mass! I'll post a "Miscellaneous Mid-Atlantic Meandering" thread in the out of state section with some highlights once I have it put together.
dima

Post by dima »

Something reminded me of it, so here's what my trophy looks like now:

Not bad!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I just had an opportunity to view the videos. Wow! Excellente!