Hiking Shoes

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I feel like this info is here somehwere but couldn't find it.

The last 2 years I've been able to buy some crappy Columbia shoes for dirt cheap, and they've worked find except the sole wears out in a year.

Let's say I put in 400 miles on them a year.

If I by something with a Vibram sole, how many miles will the sole last without wearing out?

Obviously Vibram is a specific kind, but how do you evaluate soles? Do they have to be lugged soles?

Will my feet get sick of walking after 16 miles no matter what shoes, or could I find a pair that will let me walk 25 miles without annoyance?

I prefer shoes to boots because I really want to have ankle range of motion (forward and back, not side to side) to use the calves. Do you know of boots that are good with this?

Post by 406 »

I went from Danners to Vasque to Scarpa ( or other Italian boot ), but am starting to see the appeal of cheap, made in China approach shoes. My rule:
day hike, on trail with light load = approach shoe.
winter, off trail, multi day, or heavy pack = boots.

For me boots are made in USA or Italy, vibram soles, and upper made of mostly one chunk of leather, kind of like these:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/6644 ... r-Men.html

"ankle range of motion" Little story: My friend sporting trail runners sprained his ankle this summer while we were 3 days from a trailhead in the Sierras this summer. Thank god I had vicodin, after a few he kept asking "I don't understand while my ankle doesn't hurt...It was swollen to the size of a softball!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I decide which shoes or boots to wear depending on what type of conditions I might encounter and not based on the load I'll be carrying on my back.

For snow, I have both insulated and uninsulated mountaineering boots depending on how cold it will be. I like the stiff mountaineering boots for kicking steps in snow and crampon use.

Once the snow is gone, the boots are put away for the season- it's really nice after wearing those heavy boots in the winter/spring to put on the lightweight shoes. When there's no snow, I wear trail runners if I will be staying on a trail and stickier hiking/approach shoes when I'll be doing some scrambling.

My latest shoes are FiveTen Insight shoes - they are wonderful and great for scrambling because they stick real well.

I have to replace the trail runners and light hikers about every six months but the mountaineering boots are several years old and will last for many more years, which is good because a good pair of mountaineering boots can be pricey.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I just retired my main pair of hiking shoes, some Salomon Extend Mids. I bought these for $40 in Sept '06. I checked my hiking log and apparently they lasted 450 miles. This really surprised me. I didn't think they'd last that long. The sole is a generic Salomon Contagrip. The first time I did an 18 mile hike with them, my feet were in a lot of pain. But then after I did more long hikes, it just stopped hurting as much. I think my feet just got use to it. I retired them because the sole lost most of its traction and some of the seams are splitting. Here's what they look like now:

Image Image

I'm now using some Salomon Exit Aero trail runner type shoes. Got these on sale from the Sports Authority for $60. They're very light and fine for hiking trails, but maybe a little too thin and flexible for scrambling and a lot of rock hopping. So I also just got some approach shoes to test on more rugged terrain, a pair of FiveTen Camp 4. Got those on sale as well, from Campsaver for $80. A lot of climbers love these shoes but I haven't been able to try them out yet on a hike.

The only boots I have with a Vibram sole are my Vasque boots. They're not mountaineering boots, just waterproof leather backpacking boots. I only use them in the winter so I don't have any info on how long they'll last. But I'm not a fan of big heavy boots.

So like Kathy I have three main shoes: a light trail runner, an approach shoe and a winter boot.

I roll my ankles occasionally, but only on the downhill and usually because I'm fatigued or being careless. Joseph probably already knows this, but you can also reduce your chance of an ankle injury with Balance and Proprioception Training. A quick exercise is try standing on one leg like a flamingo. Then try it with your eyes closed. It's amazingly difficult!

Salomon Exit Aero

FiveTen Camp 4
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote: A quick exercise is try standing on one leg like a flamingo. Then try it with your eyes closed. It's amazingly difficult!
This will come in handy. I actually tried it. Did it with half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair. No problem DUDE! :lol:
Tim, are your shoes on a map? Looks like a map.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Oh yeah, I 'almost' roll my ankle all the time but seem to have decent control and reflex and adjust without any effects.

What does a Vibram sole bring over a generic sole? Better grip maybe, but does it last more miles? Years mean less b/c I don't know how much hiking has been done in those years.

I have a pair of hiking sandals w/ vibram soles, they work great, but I barely use them so hard to tell how many miles that sole would last.
Tim

Post by Tim »

FO, if you can stand like a flamingo with your eyes closed, you sir should be on America's Got Talent :wink:

I guess Vibram is just a premium lug sole. They're a separate company and the shoe guys license Vibram's sole to be put on their shoes.

The FiveTen approach shoes have 'Stealth' rubber soles that are suppose to be super sticky like a climbing shoe. But like car tires, the stickier and softer the compound, the less life you'll get out of them.

When I roll my ankle I instinctively stumble forward right away and get weight off it as fast as I can so I don't mess anything up. The only time I've sprained it bad was when coming down the stairs really fast at work and then rolling my ankle on the landing. Ouch. I was out of work for a couple days and it took weeks to get back to normal.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Did it with half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair
Fight On, do you listen to Rush Limbaugh?

(sorry for the thread derail)
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote:FO, if you can stand like a flamingo with your eyes closed, you sir should be on America's Got Talent :wink:
HA! Not for very long! It is funny how much your eyesight plays a part in balance. VERY SURPRISING. I tried getting as comfortable as I could in this flamingo stance and perfectly balanced and then close my eyes. so funny. DOESN'T TAKE LONG. I really am going to do it with my sprained ankle. 77% sounds great. I guess the real thing for me is to not turn around when I'm running away from the haunted forest.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Funyan005 wrote:
Did it with half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair
Fight On, do you listen to Rush Limbaugh?

(sorry for the thread derail)
Politics? take that to the trash room RANDOM CRAP (or shit) THREAD
You can talk about ANYTHING in there. :lol:
simonov

Post by simonov »

I bought some Merrel trail shoes last year for day hiking, but I have tender feet and have gone back to wearing my old (1982) Vasque mountaineering boots for any and all mountain hikes. They are heavy, but they also protect my feet a lot better on rocky trails. I use the Merrels for local conditioning hikes with the OCHBC, and I expect them to last a long time on the local clay and sand.

The Vasques have been resoled at least twice and the plan is to use them until they need another sole and then retire them, as there are much lighter and more comfortable mountain boots available now, and boy could my feet use some more comfortable boots. I reckon they will last another season.

In the meantime I need to shop around for a replacement. I want something with a shank, sewn welt, ankle support, for four-season use.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

like to see ya twist your ankle with those. never happen.
kgw

Post by kgw »

After about 3 miles on the North Fork Big Pine Creek trail last week, I had to get creative after the sole began separating on my left boot:

This, fortunately, lasted all of the 5 days of the hike. But the whole sole is beginning to separate on this boot, and the other one is starting to do this too.

I've been eyeing those 5 10 camp four's: how are the sizes? Is a 10 a 10? Can't find a pair to touchy feely, but did find a pair of La Sportiva approach shoes that I had to go up a full size larger than I normally wear.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Camp 4's? Those are approach shoes, right? I need a pair.

My Salomons (XA Pro 3D Goretex) are super dead. Many peaks, running to and from work, running when I want, everyday walking, etc etc since December has shattered them.
simonov

Post by simonov »

kgw wrote:After about 3 miles on the North Fork Big Pine Creek trail last week, I had to get creative after the sole began separating on my left boot:
That's why I insist on sewn welts.

My boots were originally a Norwegian welt, but during the last resole the dude used an American welt.
Nunc est bibendum
kgw

Post by kgw »

My first pair of mountain boots (bought in 1969) were REAL Lowa alpine boots. I could stand on ridges just big enough to get the toes on when they were new. Stiff as ski boots. Xlnt boots!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yep, the Camp 4 are approach shoes, at least that's what 5.10 says.

They feel pretty much true to size. I couldn't find them locally, either. So I bought two sizes and returned the other. That's the cost of buying shoes online, I guess.
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

I would not recommend Camp 4. Design of the tongue near the toebox allows too much dirt and small pebbles to accumulate there. I found that dirt eventually gets inside the shoes. I do like the sticky rubber and the heel support, so will be looking to buy one of Five Ten's other approach/scrambling shoes, including Insight, when the current pair wear out.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Poop...

Hey guys, my Salomon XA's are dead.

Want an approach-ish shoe that's pretty light, goretex, good for easy class 5 kinda stuff. Wanna keep scree out as much as possible without gaiters. Anything special?
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

XA Comp 3's? I dig mine mucho.

As far as scree..I think GoLite makes trail runner with detachable scree gaiters, but none of their models has Goretex.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm on my second pair. Got these in January, I think, and they've stood up really well considering they're my everyday shoes, typically. Badass shooz. Second pair of laces. All the tread is slowly falling off. 8)

THanks for the idea w/Golites, Bert. They make some strange looking shoes. I'll hafta see if anyone local carries em'... probably not REI, I bet.
simonov

Post by simonov »

muddeer wrote:I would not recommend Camp 4. Design of the tongue near the toebox allows too much dirt and small pebbles to accumulate there. I found that dirt eventually gets inside the shoes. I do like the sticky rubber and the heel support, so will be looking to buy one of Five Ten's other approach/scrambling shoes, including Insight, when the current pair wear out.
This is the only Five Ten I have ever heard of:

Nunc est bibendum
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

simonov wrote:

This is the only Five Ten I have ever heard of:

Wow, don't see many of those anymore. That was the hopped up Honda of its' day.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Datsun 510's are kinda making a "comeback". Some folks putting SR20DE's and SR20DET's in them or some such.

I wish I could frickin' spell.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote:I roll my ankles occasionally, but only on the downhill and usually because I'm fatigued or being careless. Joseph probably already knows this, but you can also reduce your chance of an ankle injury with Balance and Proprioception Training. A quick exercise is try standing on one leg like a flamingo. Then try it with your eyes closed. It's amazingly difficult!
It's working!:D
simonov

Post by simonov »

Rumpled wrote:Wow, don't see many of those anymore. That was the hopped up Honda of its' day.
Better, the 510 was rear wheel drive.

That wasn't my car, just a photo I found on the net. The only photo I have of my 510 is this, from 1981:
Nunc est bibendum
kgw

Post by kgw »

Wow, that's quite a head of hair there! :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

GANGSTA

A 510 would be awesome... but a Skyline 2000 GT-R (1st gen) would be..... @#&@*&@&$%^*@&$^*@^*@$*^&ing win!

Unfortunately, this is as close as I'll get to one... :( I'd have a hard time fitting in it.

KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Sierra Trading Post had the women's Five Ten Insight's on sale for $40 a week or two ago; so I bought two pairs.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Used them much yet? Hows their stitching quality and whatnot?