Ontario Peak snow hike

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

December 16, 2018

It was a great day to be out. A bit of cold, nice warm sun and the luxury of finding a parking spot. The southern sun casts long shadows all day long and the moisture in the trees looks like little Christmas lights as the sun passes through. A bit of reflection off the ocean gives the wispy clouds a light orange glow, and the trails all look different when covered with snow.
Arriving after 8am I was happy to get one of three spaces remaining at Icehouse Canyon. I made a hike-time decision, which I would later regret, to wear my trail runners and I carried MicroSpikes and crampons.
The first snow is found just as the trail turns away from the creek, and a few people were donning spikes just past the Cucamonga Wilderness sign. Walking across the icy creek bed was slippery, but I waited until just before the 3-mile marker to pull on the traction. I wore the MicroSpikes the rest of the way up, which included a nice break at the saddle. The south facing slopes were mostly clear, which meant a few semi-dry sitting places were available. The path to Kelly’s Camp was easy to follow and had a good crust of ice which allowed the spikes to do their job. After that things got a little harder as the snow got softer and more like powder. After passing the Bighorn junction the trail disappeared a few times, meaning much less recent traffic. I postholed a few times up to my shins but was able to keep on trucking toward he destination. At the next saddle I could hear a couple guys talking below me, looking in vain for the trail. I looked for a bit before spotting some movement and went to a place where I could get their attention and guide them up to the trail.
While walking I didn’t pay attention to the time so I was surprised to find that it took more than two hours to reach the summit from the saddle - obviously a lot more effort going through snow. Since I also carried a JetBoil I had some hot tea while visiting with a big group that trailed me to the top.
For the trip down, I put on my crampons because the loose snow balls up in the Micros and I definitely didn’t want to slip on the downhill parts. I wore them all the way to the Chapman junction where I took another break. When I got home I found a giant blister on my big toe, I think caused by tightening the crampons onto the trail runners. In addition, walking in rather than on the snow made my feet wet and cold so I enjoyed the heat in the Ranger on my drive home.

Spike-wearing time.

Almost to the saddle.

Nearing Kelly Camp.

The views are great from this trail.

False summit, trail goes over instead of around like in summer.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Sounds like a grand day out. Great pics!

"I postholed a few times up to my shins" - how cute! Last time I postholed, it was at Piute Pass up by Bishop, went in up to my hips and one boot was being thrashed about by a lot of running water...20Kg of backpack aiding my descent into the catacombs.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Beautiful up there with all the snow. Hope we get lots more.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Really nice trip and photos. Thanks for posting.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Very nice report. Thanks. Ontario Peak Trail is where I took a spill once and slid down the ice into a small pine tree. I went out and bought some spikes after that.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: Very nice report. Thanks. Ontario Peak Trail is where I took a spill once and slid down the ice into a small pine tree. I went out and bought some spikes after that.
You should have at least bought the tree a drink!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Very nice! I love snow hikes!