Devils Punchbowl 11/17/18

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

5th annual trip. The yellow fall colors of the sycamores were about 75% in effect with very little red leaves. Temperature at 7am was 57 degrees, with a high of 83(74 in the shade).
This explore went from south to north counter-clockwise in the Punchbowl canyon area.
I started out and shortly thereafter ran into smoke. There was an abandoned illegal log fire going with one layer smallish rock and surrounded by pine needles. Luckily, there was no wind as of yet, but usually its quite windy late November, and the wind did show up later. That kept me perplexed as to how the whole place wasnt on fire, but nevertheless, onward I continued to fresh graffiti. I was quite happy to leave this area and go up to the parking lot.
Now for the disclaimer...this is not 'easy', and was about 2 hours for just 400ft. I was particularly interested in a couple of rocks and so thats where I ended up. Big ones. Basically the area is a few 'fins'/uplifts that are cliffy on one side and massive slants on the upside.
I ended up in the arches section of the park, battle tested lol, which is close to the parking lot. Just for info: the parking area itself was out of water, but there was a 5 gallon container in the visitor center. It was 10:30 am.
Onward and up to the Burkhardt trail. And then down into the East fork of Punchbowl. If the previous explore was medium difficulty, this one is hard. This area of the park has a bunch of tall fins and down below on the ground visibility is quite limited.
But once the east fork got going, theres only one way so its easy. A few downclimbs and some narrow curvy sections and I was back in Punchbowl canyon and back to the car at 1:30 pm.
Stats: 7 hours, 4.5 miles, 1200 elevation gain/loss.

sample of new graffiti
tr1.jpg
tr2.jpg
Gaining elevation....example of the downside cliffy and upside slant.
tr3.jpg
Elevation gain is not so easy
tr4.jpg
Arches section...not sure if its worth the effort to go here, but they are here.

tr5.jpg
Approaching the east fork(which is down below to right)
tr6.jpg
View from the east fork looking up some formations along Punchdrunk ridge.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Cool. I didn't know there is an arch in there.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

That one is above another one that has one graffiti on it now. I think the park used to provide maps of the exact locations, but maybe stopped doing so.
I think its still on the internet somewhere anywho.
dima

Post by dima »

Fun! Too bad I couldn't join you. The punchbowl is such a cool area
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Never saw that arch before. Great report.