The Gold Ridge Mine

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The Gold Ridge Mine, originally known as the Agamemnon Mine is located in Upper San Antonio Creek on Mt. Baldy, between
San Antonio Falls and the San Antonio (Sierra Club) Ski Hut. It operated from 1897-1907. This was a fairly large operation,
with much optimism and little success.

The rock crusher (full name Huntington's Centrifugal Roller Quartz Mill) was invented in 1898. It was a brand new technology
that not only crushed ore, but separated the gold from it. This unit weighs a ton and probably cost a bundle. As far as I know
It's the only one remaining in the San Gabriel Mountains. The inventor, Frank Atwood Huntington patented multiple inventions,
including a gasoline engine that powered one of the first cars in America. This mine site also had a traditional five stamp mill.

This was a gasoline powered unit. You can see in the diagram above where these two pieces went.

Here's a top view of the crusher. This metal is over half an inch thick, so it must have taken a massive hit to break it in half.

This may have been a part of the interior of the rock crusher. Or part of the mount. In 1907 the crusher was broken in half
by something referred to as the slide of 1907. It was described as an avalanche, but more likely it was a giant rock slide.

These metal straps were probably used to secure the rocky hillside (unsuccessfully). They can be found next to the mill.

Here's a view of part of the mine site in the late 1800s. All of this was probably washed away by the great flood of 1938.
To me this looks like a water dam at the top, an ore hopper below and the stamp mill was probably behind this structure.
The circular barrel to the right looks like a cyanide leeching tank made out of redwood.

These are the remains of the mess hall (kitchen). Nearby is a flat where the foreman's cabin rested.

This is part of the stovetop. Remnants of the stovepipe can be found nearby.

Pieces of the stovepipe found inside the ruins.

An early morning view from near the mess hall ruins looking south, towards Claremont.

Here's a view from inside the ruins, looking toward Baldy Bowl

Vintage photos from the mine site, left is the foreman's cabin, right top is the crusher before it was broken (markings
say it was manufactured in Mexico), right bottom is the mess hall. Photos are part of the Will Thrall collection.

As far as the actual mine, I was unable to find it, although I know the approximate location. I'll probably go back up there
and try again, digging out the portal if I can spot it. Here are some of Hugh Blanchard's photos from 2005. He measured
the mine at 187 feet. However a mining report from 1900 measured it at 600 feet. I'd be interested in taking a look inside.

The Gold Ridge Mine had several owners over a 10 year period. Although gold was found it was mostly low grade ore.
Ultimately mining operations ended because of uncertain water supply and an avalanche or rockslide that occurred in 1907.

To read more about this mine site, check out my blog at secretmines.com
dima

Post by dima »

I've been wondering about this one. Thanks for the photos! Are these Hugh Blanchard's photos?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I took the photos last week, except for the vintage ones and the shots of the actual mine.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, you didn't find the MINE ITSELF. Got it.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The mine is in a ditch and gets covered up each season. I know where it is but I'll have to take a shovel up there to dig it out.

Here's some additional photos Gold Ridge Slideshow
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Excellent report! I find it odd that Gold Ridge Mine is not located on the Gold Ridge by Thunder Mtn.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

That is odd. The original name of the mine was the Agamemnon, but it became the Gold Ridge around 1900.
Near the area of Thunder Mountain there was another mine called the Hocumac or Banks Mine, a hydraulic mine site.
There's nothing left of it except for an asphalt flume chute the one of the ski runs crosses over.
Here's a shot of the old miner's camp in 1895.

Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice report! I would like to check that one out.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Cool report! I've seen this on the topo, but I this is the first report I've seen on it. So much history.