Plane wreckage near Winston peak.

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

Wandered into a tail section and miscellaneous debris north side of west shoulder Winston Peak. No visible marking remaining. Anyone know about this crash?
dima

Post by dima »

Macha's book doesn't mention "winston peak" anywhere. The nearest thing is a 1944 crash of a cessna uc-78 in "upper cooper canyon". It had "mostly wooden construction" and a "fabric-covered frame". It crashed "2000 ft below a timbered ridge" and "came to rest in an area of dense manzanita plants, which cusioned the forces of the impact". Both passengers survived, and "hiked to the nearest ridge top from which they could see State Highway 2". Does that match up at all?

And where's your trip report???
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, according to Macha this is a US airforce plane with tail number 42-58362; it came down on 1944/10/6. If you want to look it up...
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

Fabric and wood is not what I found. Poking around the internet I found this site.

www.av.qnet.com/~carcomm/wrecks.htm

After a bit of scrolling on that site I came across this.

09/04/56 Two F86's #49-1336N&48-313N From Ontario ANG Base Collide And Crash Above Mount Pacifico.

This is where I found it.

Here's some pics of the wreck.

Most of what I found was all in one spot. There was two smaller pieces a couple hundred yards away.

Also found evidence of an abandoned growing operation near.
dima

Post by dima »

Neat. Macha talks about this crash too, on page 84. Don't have the book on me so I don't know what it says. Pacifico is a ways away. What makes you think that's the one?
dima

Post by dima »

Looking at your map, the site is WAY below the ridge. So either the plane hit the mountain and then fell a LONG way down the hill, or it was a mid-air collision, like the incident you mentioned.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

I'm thinking mid air collision because there is only the tail section. But the mechanical engineering of the controls is cable and levers not electronics and hydraulics. So that doesn't fit the f86 saber.

This pic show what appears to be a seat. And again not what you'd expect from a military jet. Image

There could be identifying marks and or numbering on the underside of the debris. I was unable to lift it up.
dima

Post by dima »

Do you think you may have found this: http://www.av.qnet.com/~carcomm/wreck26.htm ?

The location is about right.
dima

Post by dima »