Cougars and more

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

After more than 8 months, 3 camera adjustments, and 42 miles of hiking, I finally got some good video of cougars in the Santa Anas. Really, it's closer to a two year obsession with this canyon. To my untrained eye, it looks like there might be a courtship going on here.

Here is the link...

https://youtu.be/jgJgG9TNtbU

Here is the non-cougar wild life at this location...

https://youtu.be/MfLgNdw8N6c

Stills...
cougar-5-pair.PNG
cougar-4-female.PNG
cougar-2-male.PNG
cougar-1-female.PNG
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Wow, great footage! Cool to get two in one shot.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

headsizeburrito wrote: Wow, great footage! Cool to get two in one shot.
I think cougars are only together for a short time while mating, then the male goes about his business. Pretty lucky to see them together.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I wonder if you could play that mating call to attract male cougars to your camera. Of course it would have to be on a timer, so as to avoid being attacked, eaten, and/or raped.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Those are awesome clips. What part of the Santa Ana's were these filmed at? Did this all come from the same camera?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

CrazyHermit wrote: Those are awesome clips. What part of the Santa Ana's were these filmed at? Did this all come from the same camera?
All from the same camera in Bluewater Canyon in the San Mateo Wilderness. Kind of behind Camp Pendleton. Closest trailhead is Fisherman's Camp on the east side of the mountains. I plan to go back next month.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

How much does one of those color units run? If you don't mind me asking.
And how did you decide where to place the camera? I'm amazed you captured so many animals with a single camera.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

CrazyHermit,

The trailcam is a Bushnell 20MP Trophy Cam HD Low Glow, about $120-$130 on amazon. Comes with a strap for securing to a tree or rock.

Here is the story of how I found the location. TLDR: found a dismembered buck, suspected cougar activity, a lot of trial and error with camera positioning.

I've gotten an even wider variety of animals at a watering hole. I also have thousands of videos of waving grass, insects, and birds, haha.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be buying one soon. Left a message about bald eagles on your website. There are two of them nesting in San Gabriel Canyon.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I guess I am behind on reading posts. I just looked at the videos from Tekewin. Great stuff! The last part of that first video was hilarious and made me laugh.