Iron Mountain #1 via San Antonio Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I finally got this done after seemingly everyone else. It could also have been titled "Henry saves the day", but that's the ending. Henry Chen and I planned this as a one way traverse from Manker Flat to Heaton Flat. In addition to the ridge traverse, we wanted to drop off the ridge to Gold Dollar Mine as a side trip, but because of high heat, it was a game time decision. We got started up Baldy at 2:30 AM. A lot of new signs have been installed on the trail since I was last there. We climbed at a steady pace and reached the summit at sunrise. Mt. San Antonio imposed a long shadow on the horizon. We refueled, then walked over to West Baldy and began to descend the ridge in shadow. There was a very good use trail down the steep ridge. Plenty of cairns marked the way. As we got further along the ridge, we met thickets of buckthorn. Some of it had been trimmed back and the use trail bypassed some of it. Other parts we had to plow through taking a few hits to our legs. Overall, this part of the ridge was easier than expected. I was watching the GPS to figure out where we needed to drop off the ridge to Gold Dollar Mine. It was the final bump before Gunsight Notch. We stopped there to rest and decide what to do. Ultimately, I didn't think I had enough water to make the side trip in the heat. I vowed we would make a separate trip to the mine when the weather broke in the fall.

West Baldy and the long shadow of Baldy

Like Dima and other people have mentioned, Gunsight Notch looked worse than it was. My mistake was assuming that once I passed Gunsight Notch, the ridge would get easier. I thought the second notch was more difficult. There is a semi-stable tree that you need to climb over and we spent some time trying to figure out the best way over the top of the second notch. There was a way up on the left side of the jutting rocks, but it was very exposed with a starting foothold above a 500' drop. I started down the right side to explore a gully, but everything I touched slid and gave way. I clawed my way back up sending handfuls of rotten debris down the gully. We returned to the left side and scrambled up. A little higher, Henry made a risky direct ascent over some loose rocks. There was a third scrambling section made of white rock maybe 500' below Iron Mountain. Bypasses were available for some parts of the rugged terrain, and there were several class 2 sections. I was startled that some of the class 2 sections also had crazy exposure to huge drops. By the time we were on Iron, the sun was cooking us.

Glorious Gunsight

The 2nd notch

A tense moment on the ridge

It was hot so we didn't hang out on Iron for long. I had recently been treated for an actinic keratosis (AK), a pre-cancerous spot on my left forearm. For this reason, I was not only slathered in sunscreen, but had been applying it frequently along the hike. That was also the reason I had a long sleeved based layer on and long pants even though the high at Heaton Flat was forecast to be 96F. I chose to deal with the heat to protect my skin. We took a few breaks in the little shade we found on the way down to Allison Saddle. Just past the saddle, the heat overwhelmed me and my body shut down. I had a mild case of heat exhaustion. I finished off my last bottle of water trying to cool down and not puke my guts out. It was a bad situation since it got hotter with every step down and we had four miles to go. I laid down under some brush and Henry and I talked over the situation. Had I been alone, my only option would have been to stay put until the sun went down. We were out of cell range. I had to minimize not only my heat generation but anything that retained heat. Skin be damned. I zipped off the lower half of my hiking pants, changed the long sleeved base layer to a short sleeved shirt and even took off my underwear. Henry generously offered me a liter of his water. I still wasn't sure I could move, so Henry also offered to carry my backpack. After ten minutes or so, I was back on my feet moving at a glacial pace up the ridge. For three miles, Henry carried my backpack as I sipped his water and moved slowly down. I finally felt recovered with a mile to go and took back my pack. The heat episode cost us an extra hour and was a harsh lesson. I cranked the AC until I was freezing and drove Henry back to his car. The first ten hours of this hike rank among the most fun I've had, and soon I'll forget the rest. Thanks, Henry. Also, thanks to Sean, Dima, Ze, Kicks Rocks, Scott Richardson, and Headsizeburrito for awesome beta on the ridge.

headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Good job to both of you and good teamwork to avoid a potentially more serious situation. Summer is definitely upon us!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

headsizeburrito wrote: Good job to both of you and good teamwork to avoid a potentially more serious situation. Summer is definitely upon us!
Thanks! It could definitely have ended worse. It was nice be back on Iron. I love that mountain, even though I was cursing it most of the day.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Cool picture of Henry climbing. Thanks for posting!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Good to have a partner along for that experience. Also good that you both knew what to do in the situation. And great pics by the way, I've seen the Baldy sunrise a couple times and this one is spectacular.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

JeffH wrote: Good to have a partner along for that experience. Also good that you both knew what to do in the situation. And great pics by the way, I've seen the Baldy sunrise a couple times and this one is spectacular.
Thanks, JeffH. There aren't many hikes I don't feel comfortable doing solo, but this was one of them. It was great to experience sunrise on Baldy. The photos look great but don't do it justice. Over the last couple of years, I've developed a mild addiction to summit sunrises.