Baldy Sunday

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

May 13, 2018
Despite a weather forecast that said partly cloudy, we had some mist at home that was more like rain as I drove up Baldy Road. It was dry when I got to the Village, and even sunny as I arrived near Manker Flat at 0730 Sunday morning. A cool breeze made the shady road walk a bit uncomfortable, so I stopped at the falls overlook to put on my gloves. Feeling much better, I headed up the cutoff to the now-marked but poorly-spelled Baldybowl Tr. The trail up Register Ridge is also very clear now, but I chose to pass that up and headed toward the ski hut. The early morning here was great, comfortable in the sun and cool in the shade, a sea of clouds just below me and nothing but mountain ahead. I saw a few other new signs along the way, mostly assuring folks that they are actually on a trail. After a short break to refill water and eat a mini Baby Ruth I tackled the steeper second half of the hike. Here I slowed down a lot, feeling the effect of the winter doldrums as the muscles complained bitterly about overuse. Another break at the little flat spot at the top of the bowl, and then up the soft stuff to the summit. I put on my windbreaker and relaxed near one of the windbreaks, munching on a Clif Bar - High Sierra Trail Mix for those keeping track. When I got up there only 10 others were in sight, when I left 30 minutes later I counted 27. I had planned to cross over Harwood on the way down, but the clouds started rolling in about that time so I figured the view would be non-existant. I skipped lunch at The Notch, since it was Mothers Day lots of families were hanging around and I didn't want to sit around and wait for food. I did take one of the shortcuts on the road, heading under the lift to skip a big switchback. I also took the cutoff road down to the parking lot, which is probably way too steep for my old knees nowadays.
Pretty uneventful but great day in the San Gabes....

DSC02453.JPG

Great clear moment early in the hike, love this view of the bowl.

DSC02458.JPG
Above the clouds - for a while they kept moving up with me but finally settled about this level.

DSC02461.JPG
Trail sign in the rock garden after the ski hut. Basically it means "if you can read this you are standing on the trail".

DSC02473.JPG
I walked out on the rocks on top of the bowl to get this great view of Harwood and the Backbone trail.

DSC02479.JPG
Clouds blowing in from both sides of the saddle - about here I decided against Harwood.

DSC02481.JPG
While unmarked, the trail to Harwood is now very clear.

DSC02491.jpg
Awesome view down to Stockton Flats from near the backbone, it looked way better in person.

DSC02496.JPG
Last look at the summit from the road below The Notch.

DSC02500.jpg
New addition at the trailhead - portapotties are gone!

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 4.53.32 PM.png
AllTrails stats for the day.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very nice. Looks like same conditions we had Saturday. Manker and Ice House were a zoo when we drove by.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

New addition at the trailhead - portapotties are gone!
Wow, pretty fancy! I feel like I should go up there just to see it myself...

Nice report, I kind of like the cloudy days sometimes just for variety and the increased sense of isolation.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Yeah, that Harwood traverse trail gets better looking each time I'm up there. I'm glad they put in a pit toilet at Baldy Road. Now I can talk about the "old days" when there were only portables.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I've only done Harwood from the Baldy saddle side. Going down I always aimed for the edge of the trees and cut mostly straight line across the tundra. Now this trail is right at the Register Ridge junction.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda