Valley Forge Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

A little while ago, Paul asked about a mystery road in Valley Forge Canyon. So I had this topic in the back of my mind until yesterday, when Willie and I contemplated alternative adventures after being stopped in Woodwardia Canyon by a waterfall obstacle. I suggested going down Valley Forge Canyon instead and trying to solve one of the great mysteries of our time.

The turnout for the mystery road is at mile marker 40.50 on the ACH beyond Red Box. If you drive to the next turnout, you get a nice panoramic of the whole canyon with the old road visible on the right.

DSC04392_stitch.jpg

We descended the overgrown road, whose bed was in good shape until the final segment after a right turn in a side gully. Here the road became rutted and populated with some thriving yucca, which forced us onto the slope a couple times.

DSC04269.JPG

We lost all trace of a road about fifty feet above the main canyon floor. Here some metal debris and pipes had been left behind.

DSC04274.JPG

Flowing water could be heard. We looked for an easy way down. Our route ended up requiring a bit of gymnastics to get off the bank and into the stream bed.

DSC04285.JPG

You should probably be comfortable with class 3 scrambling if you attempt this hike.

Immediately we discovered the purpose of the old road. Clearly it had been used to haul in supplies to build a pump house and install water tanks.

DSC04289.JPG

DSC04306.JPG

DSC04298.JPG

The pump house contained an F.E. Myers & Bro. water pump and a GE induction motor. Based on its serial number, the motor was manufactured in January of 1947. A nearby wooden utility pole had supplied the power to run the motor. Why were they pumping water at the head of Valley Forge Canyon in the '50s? Maybe they were trying to establish a year-round supply for cabins in the canyon.

So, solving one mystery led to yet another mystery.

We continued down the narrow canyon. It contained plenty of deadfall to avoid or climb over and under. Some stretches had neat cascades and small pools.

DSC04331.JPG

DSC04358.JPG

Not far below the water tanks, a waterfall stood in our way. It was approximately thirty feet high with a bypass on the right.

DSC04335.JPG

DSC04344.JPG

Periodically we noticed flat benches along the banks. I surmised that these could have been cabin locations, or spots prepared for cabins that were never built. One bench contained many scattered boulders, which possibly had formed a retaining wall or foundation now destroyed.

DSC04367.JPG

Another location still contained a couple rock walls.

DSC04372.JPG

We also detected signs of the old trail, but only small bits still exist, and they are in bad shape.

DSC04378.JPG

At some point the trail might have been a road, given the fact that we found this old tire in there.

DSC04371.JPG

In general, the scrambling was slow, and we had a few encounters with poison oak. Also, the ants decided to come out in force. But lots of beautiful watery scenery distracted us from the messy stuff.

DSC04347.JPG

DSC04382.JPG

DSC04374.JPG

After a couple hours we made it to the West Fork, took a meal break at Valley Forge Camp, and walked the fire road to Red Box saddle.

Screenshot_20180327-160548~2.png
dima

Post by dima »

What happened in Woodwardia?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: What happened in Woodwardia?
We headed down from the bridge and quickly came upon a large waterfall in a narrow slot. We couldn't find a safe bypass and scrambled back up to the road. I might put together a separate report later. But I'm waiting on some information related to another discovery in there.
Paul Ayers

Post by Paul Ayers »

I guess the only thing that makes sense is that there is a spring there and they were planning to pump water down to Valley Forge.