Altadena Crest Trail (Loma Alta segment): 2008-08-30

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I needed a hike to stretch the legs so I decided to finally check out the eastern segment (Loma Alta Trail) of the Altadena Crest Trail (ACT). This is a route that will eventually run from the Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon through the foothills above Altadena. Basically it is a single track trail that runs along the edge of everyone's backyard.

The trail is in very good shape. It's a bit of a roller coaster ride but total mileage and gain on a round trip starting at Eaton Canyon Nature Center is only about 7.5 miles and 1500'. Can be combined with some urban street walking to get to the Sam Merrill Trail at the top of Lake Ave. which leads up to Echo Mt. and beyond (eventually the ACT will connect directly with Rubio Canyon and the Sam Merrill trails).

Google Earth view (Yellow is the Loma Alta segment of the ACT), blue is in Eaton Canyon...

This is a view up the canyon just east of Rubio Canyon. Rumor is there is gold up in them thar hills...

Trail head at the Zane Grey Terrace access point (the western terminus of the Loma Alta segment)...

A memorial to two fire fighters on the trail...
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Cool. What I think looks weird is that you can clearly see the landslide which took out the MT. WILSON TOLL ROAD just past the bridge. :shock: LOOK AT THAT SUCKER! :shock: If you look at the dot where the yellow and blue lines meet and follow the blue one to the west you can see the Toll Road branch off as it goes south and THERE IT IS! Cool to see it continue on the south side of the slide.
So Hike. did you do just the blue or the yellow or both, round trip?
Had you ever been on those before? I have only done the yellow part twice. never went down the blue line, never been to the nature center. always went up the toll road, never went under the bridge up eaton canyon either.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

HikeUp wrote:A memorial to two fire fighters on the trail...
Story behind the memorial. Damn.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

It's a fun loop to go up the Sam Merrill Trail at the top of Lake Ave to Echo Mtn, then take the Castle Canyon Trail to where you can catch the Idylhour Trail and go down to Idylhour, then from Idylhour, head up to the toll road, and then take the toll road to the gated exit (Pinecrest Dr.) near the bridge in Eaton Canyon. It'll be great to have a trail to walk back to one's car on. Walking on pavement = lose. :(
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Interesting stuff...riveting story too...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

HJ, this trail will get you most of the way from the toll road near Pinecrest back to your car at Lake Ave. It starts about 50 feet west of the bridge over Eaton Wash and about 100 feet east of the gate at Pinecrest (too bad the gate is always locked due to the land slide that closed the toll road). Although this would be a tough last leg of the loop being that it is quite a roller coaster ride, especially when they complete the section up then down into Rubio, then up again and down to the top of Lake.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW, have you ever gone up into that canyon in the picture above? I went up as far as the top of the first dam in the pic and could see a use trail through the bushes. You've probably seen this but I will include for reference...this story by Hugh Blanchard about the mines that are up there. He calls it Pine Canyon. He also mentions the Lone Tree Trail.