San Sevaine LO and Rafael BM

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

On Sunday, driving back from Baden-Powell, I noticed that the San Sevaine Road was open, which motivated me to return the next morning and see about bagging some peaks above Lytle Creek. Overnight a storm had sprinkled the road with fresh snow, and the freezing breeze was maintaining iced-up tree branches, making the whole scene no doubt prettier than the day before.

DSC03603.JPG

DSC03599.JPG

My first stop was 7.7 miles from the entrance gate. A service road branched to the right, heading up to some towers.

DSC03610_stitch.jpg

Nearby I found a use trail dropping off the roadside. This led to the abandoned road to San Sevaine Lookout.

DSC03615.JPG

DSC03620.JPG

DSC03621.JPG

The segment of road between the trail and the lookout kind of sucked, but it didn't suck as much as the segment returning to the towers, which I'll get to in a bit. First, let's talk about the lookout...

DSC03644_stitch.jpg

The lookout ruins provided a great spot for taking a break and enjoying the vast vistas.

DSC03650.JPG

The storm and wind had cleared the air of junk, so Lytle Creek appeared to be within stone-throwing distance. I scrambled to the highpoint and found a water-soaked Sierra Club register inside a cracked PVC container. I guess I was the first signature for 2018.

DSC03637.JPG

DSC03631_stitch.jpg

I felt like being "a rebel just for kicks," so instead of the use trail, I decided to try the abandoned road the whole way back. I don't recommend this route unless you really enjoy being impaled by thorns. It got so bad that I had to crawl through the mess many times like a wild animal.

DSC03665.JPG

DSC03673.JPG

The only redeeming aspect of this horrible route choice proved to be the old sign that I found.

DSC03666.JPG

Unfortunately I couldn't read the faint lettering, so the thrill of my discovery soon faded, and it was back to belly-crawling through thorns. Little did I know that this would be the easy part of my day. For, next up was a frustrating and stupid attempt at Buck Point. Frustrating, because I failed from two directions, making it to within a few hundred feet before hitting an impenetrable wall of thorns. And stupid, because I later spotted a much better route from a nearby vantage point, but by then it was too late in the day to try another direction.

From the east, I hit the first wall of thorns covered in ice.

DSC03684.JPG

DSC03686.JPG

From the west, I took a clear gully before being stopped again.

DSC03688.JPG

DSC03691.JPG

By now a storm had decided to add to my troubles by blessing me with freezing wind, light snowfall, and reduced visibility. As I desperately searched for a way, I took note of an interesting mix of impalement, numbness, and disappointment. Finally I gave up and turned around. Of course, the storm ended once I was safely back in the warm car.

I made a quick stop at Joe Elliott, just because.

DSC03697.JPG

I still had a couple hours of daylight and one more thing to try. I started back down the road and parked at a saddle east of Buck Point.

DSC03710.JPG

Another thornwhack, yes, but this time rendered doable thanks to someone who had done a bit of clipping recently. Unlike Buck Point, I reached my goal and found Rafael Benchmark, a triangulation station from 1934.

DSC03720.JPG

A geocache log contained only two names in six years.

DSC03723.JPG

I managed to make it back to the car a little before sunset. One of the many thorns embedded in my body bothered me more than the others. It chose to settle in my right knee cap. In the frozen twilight, I worked on this menacing plant fragment with some tweezers, but it was buried too deeply in the flesh. Removal would have to wait until I could get home and dig it out with a needle.

As a distraction from pain, I cranked up the heavy metal music for the slow, two-hour drive down the mountain.

DSC03735.JPG
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

You are a BEAST! Cool report. Sorry I missed out on all the excitement of the thick thorns penetrating my legs.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great report! You confirmed everything I've read about the San Sevaine Lookout use trail and road. Everyone says avoid the road.

Bummer about Buck Point. It is short but tricky. I had a good GPS track and did it on the way back from Etiwanda. I went up from the road over some rocks where a ducked use trail weaved through the mess. Here was the witness post:

I don't know where Rafael is. Couldn't find it on the USGS map. Is it Peak 6321? It is tempting to head up there when the road is open.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote:I don't know where Rafael is. Couldn't find it on the USGS map. Is it Peak 6321?
Yeah. I only knew it as Peak 6321, until I got up there and found the mark. Nobody on Peakbagger had logged a successful summit, so they probably don't know that it has a BM name. Not even the geocaching world cares much for it. Only the two entries in the log. I think if we call it Rafael Benchmark more bushwhackers will make the trip. Bring clippers though!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean wrote:
tekewin wrote:I don't know where Rafael is. Couldn't find it on the USGS map. Is it Peak 6321?
Yeah. I only knew it as Peak 6321, until I got up there and found the mark. Nobody on Peakbagger had logged a successful summit, so they probably don't know that it has a BM name. Not even the geocaching world cares much for it. Only the two entries in the log. I think if we call it Rafael Benchmark more bushwhackers will make the trip. Bring clippers though!
How would you compare it to Calamity?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote:How would you compare it to Calamity?
From where we left the road and thornwhacked up the ridge, Calamity Peak was about 0.3 miles with 400' gain, and it took four of us working on the trail to make it passable within an hour or so. Whereas from my parking spot on San Sevaine, Rafael BM was about 0.2 miles with 325' gain (shorter but steeper than Calamity), and I found the benchmark within 45 minutes (under a rock cairn), after utilizing a minimally clipped route from November 2017. I did no clipping myself, and had to push through some thorns. The clipped route isn't the easiest to follow, but basically it weaves a path straight up from the saddle.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Heavy metal...huh. And to think I refrained from making a "Man on the silver mountain" joke in one of your previous threads.

Thanks for the pics. I've been meaning to try San Sevaine (by bicycle), but have been wondering if it's worth the 2+ hr drive.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote:I've been meaning to try San Sevaine (by bicycle), but have been wondering if it's worth the 2+ hr drive.
I'd say no. You wouldn't be able to bike even the normal route. The use trail portion is crappy with deadfall on the path, and the old road portion is choked with thorns and brush that you have to push or crawl through. It's a mess out there.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Sean wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote:I've been meaning to try San Sevaine (by bicycle), but have been wondering if it's worth the 2+ hr drive.
I'd say no. You wouldn't be able to bike even the normal route. The use trail portion is crappy with deadfall on the path, and the old road portion is choked with thorns and brush that you have to push or crawl through. It's a mess out there.
Clarification: I'm interested in doing the main road, as far as I can get past Joe Eliot. I've done my share of "dragging my bike through miles of devil's club." I may be losing my taste for certain kinds of Type II fun. :)
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote:Clarification: I'm interested in doing the main road, as far as I can get past Joe Eliot.
Ah, that's a slightly better idea. Though I imagine it starts getting awful around Day Canyon. I can confirm that it's non-existent at the Deer Canyon crossing, and flat-out dangerous through Calamity Canyon. Of course that's only if you make it through the thorns first.
Tom.Kane

Post by Tom.Kane »

I also noticed the open gate leading up to San Sevaine Flats. Rode my Mtn bike up to the Native American campsite in this area, a long ride for sure, but with the cool temps as of late it was the right time for some uphill punishment. Sean your pictures tell me you were right by the campsite/Acorn milling site used by the Native Americans for MANY generations. The site is just blow the radio towers, just past the bullock spur.