Sierra Madre Search and Rescue Team

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

Want to spend more time in the mountains?

Being able to combine my love of the mountains with the satisfaction of helping someone in need is the main reason I joined Sierra Madre Search and Rescue. If you have ever wanted to get involved and help your fellow climbers/hikers/backpackers in need, SMSR is currently recruiting for the 2009 training class.

More information about the team and the application form is available at smsr.org. Primary requirements are that you are at least 25 years old, live within 20 minutes of Sierra Madre, and are reasonably fit and comfortable in the wilderness.

If you have any questions about the rewards or commitments involved in joining, don't hesitate to reply here or email me at recruiting @ smsr.org.

-Barbara Fortini
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Barbara, I hope you get some good folks in response to your posting. I thought about SM SAR at one point, but I'm not w/in 20 min. of SM. Keep up the good work.
bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

Thanks, Jim. :D

We really appreciate the support of everyone in the community!

To those of you who don't feel like applying to the team is right for you, please keep us in mind and pass along the opportunity to anyone you know who might be interested.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Barbara,

How's the recruiting going?

HJ
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

If only I lived closer..
bkk030580

Post by bkk030580 »

We are still accepting applications! Please keep spreading the word to your outdoorsy friends for us. We still need a few more recruits to start the class.

The team really appreciates the support we get from this forum's community. Hopefully we'll never have to meet you face to face "for real" so - Stay Safe!
ClamberAbout

Post by ClamberAbout »

Hope you don't mind if I jump on the bandwagon, Barbara...

For those of you who don't live within 20 minutes of Sierra Madre, you might be interested in applying with the West Valley SAR team.

They're having a recruiting meeting this month. I think it's the night of the 30th at Chino Hills Sheriff Station on Peyton (Peyton and Grand) in Chino Hills.

I'll find out for sure and post the address and time.

WVSAR is responsible for the western end of San Bernardino County, basically from Chino Hills State Park, to Mt. Baldy (including Ontario, Cucamonga Peak, etc.), and over to Lytle Creek. WVSAR is one of two fully Mountain Rescue Association (MRA) certified SAR teams in San Bernardino County. (Other is the Cave Team)

WVSAR doesn't have any proximity requirement: One team member comes from the west side of Los Angeles; some others from Orange County.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

If I had all the gear, I'd so be down. The station is 2 minutes from my house hah.

Maybe once I get the cash!
ClamberAbout

Post by ClamberAbout »

Well, I don't know your situation, but you certainly don't need all the required gear straight off.

Per WVSAR's training program (and S.B. County's requirements), you'll have lots of training to go through before you are "fieldable". You'll be given information on things you need to get as you go. E.g., you'll need to get some accessory cord and webbing pretty much straight off. Obviously you'll need a decent pack fairly soon. And, at some point some *good* mountaineering boots, etc.

Some gear you won't need for awhile till you complete the training program (e.g. winter); some is acquired over time (e.g. technical gear such as biners); and some is team issued (e.g. helmet, avalanche beacon).

Yes, you will spend a lot of $ on gear in the first few years though. Plan on a couple grand. But they can tell you more about that at the recruitment meeting. Obviously if that's not doable, then there you go.
Rob

Post by Rob »

If you can't join a SAR team (for whatever reason), find out if there is a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) in your neighborhood.

Does anyone on this board participate in CERT activities?