Little Jimmy & Mt Islip

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

This is another really delayed report. We did Little Jimmy and Mt Islip from Islip Saddle on Dec 16. It was COLD and WINDY coming down from the peak. Little Jimmy spring was running fine, but the trough had been set aside.

DSC00956.jpg

Don't know whether that's some form of winterization or what. Seems to me I've seen photos of it in place in winter, iced over.

There are also bear boxes at Little Jimmy Campground now. Not sure when my prior visit was, but I hadn't seen them before.

DSC00958.jpg

Returning COLD to the saddle, we found a guy trying to drive around the parking lot, but his car wouldn't run for more than a minute or so. We drove him to Newcomb's, where we had a brief discussion with the bartender about the typical cost for a tow, after which he elected to be dropped off in La Canada, from where he could call a friend. Newcomb's gave us a free hot chocolate for the road for our trouble, much appreciated. ☕☃ Hope it worked out for the owner.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I feel cold from just reading your report. Reminds me of the time my car wouldn't start in the freezing cold at Ice House Canyon. I coasted downhill in neutral and got a jump-start at Baldy Lodge. Now I feel bad for not buying the dude a hot chocolate.