Mt. Wilson Trail to Manzanita Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

With the Labor Day Baldy Run-to-the-Top coming up, and me having done very little trail running recently, I got up at 4:30 am yesterday to get a training run in before work.

I got to the Mt. Wilson trailhead in Sierra Madre at 5 am and headed out by flashlight. That's right - flashlight. I had brought my hiking headlamp and discovered that I had taken out the batteries to replace them, but never completed the task. So I took my car flashlight. Even at 5 am yesterday morning, the air was already warm. Daylight broke as I got to Orchard Camp. I continued up to the Manzanita Ridge. I would probably have gone to the Toll Road, but I had not brought water and I was getting dehydrated, although not thirsty.

It had been a while since I was on the Wilson Trail. On the return, nearing the bottom, I was saddened to see the charred slopes from the recent fires.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

nice training!

have you done the Baldy race before?

How would you compare the time to finish the race to how long it would take to hike up via the Ski Hut trail without resting? Trying to get a sense of a goal to establish.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:nice training!

How would you compare the time to finish the race to how long it would take to hike up via the Ski Hut trail without resting? Trying to get a sense of a goal to establish.
Isn't an eleven year old girl enough incentive? :lol: Just imagine she is in front of you the whole way. and going to finish a half an hour ahead of ya. :lol:
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I wouldn't even see her after the first turn :(
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:I wouldn't even see her after th e first turn :(
Na, I think you could stay with her for the first three miles if you really tried but after that you would have to walk and ultimately finish slower than if you had paced yourself from the start. And only 11 years old. :roll: Well, maybe she really wasn't 11 when she did that time. She could have been 11-1/2 :lol:
Augie

Post by Augie »

JMunaretto wrote:nice training!

I've done the Baldy race nearly every year for the past 15 years or so. I'm guessing on the comparison you asked about. I would suspect about the same time. The race route is much longer, but not as steep as the ski hut trail except for the last mile. That last mile is a killer!

As for Carrie Garritson, she was a phenom. She was running marathons as well as trail races at age 11. Don't know what ever happened to her. She never made it to any Olympics. Probably burned herself (read, her parents burned her out) out. Hey, hope to run into you at the race.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Augie, if you have a second can you report on the conditions of the Mt. Wilson Trail above Orchard Camp to Manzanita Ridge? Overgrown, rutted, etc....

Thanks!
Augie

Post by Augie »

I essentially just tagged it, but the trail looked fine toward the toll road.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks, but I was curious about the section between Orchard Camp and Manzanita Ridge - the part you did after 'daylight broke'. Or am I misunderstanding your last comment? :oops:
Augie

Post by Augie »

My mistake Hike Up. I didn't read your question carefully. That stretch of trail is fine due to constant use I'm sure.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Good news...thanks and have a good run up Baldy...looks like it might be a bit chilly on top!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Hike Up,

Thanks for mentioning the possibility of chill on the summit. It had slipped my mind. I'll take a very light windbreaker.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

They're predicting a cold front. Highs in the mid to upper 50's above 9000' and breezy.
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 57. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 15 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

See also http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapCli ... &map.y=114
Augie

Post by Augie »

Thanks Jim.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

np. Hope that helps.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I'm so glad it will be cool. this means less chance of sweating out all my electrolytes and cramping up on the final, steep, climb!