Bizarre Death In Glacier National Park

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

This isn't related to the San Gabriels, but I thought some of the readers might find it interesting ....

These photos were taken on a closed road in Glacier during the winter. "The mountain lion and bighorn were fighting on the mountain and fell to their immediate death sometime during the struggle. Pay special attention to the mouth of the mountain lion—it still has sheep hide in its mouth!!!!"

The bighorn and cougar, discovered where they fell.

The crash from the cliff was so forceful one of the ram's horns separated from the bone.

The mountain lion has a mouthful of sheepskin to show for his trouble.

Another shot of the fallen cat.

This gruesome image shows just how nasty the fall was for the two animals.

Bones protruding from the ram's hind leg.

The scene of the crime.

Looking up at the cliff from where both animals tumbled.

Original source: Outdoor Life
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

ack
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

dima

Post by dima »

Wow! I DO find that interesting. Thanks a lot for posting. These are great photos.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Horrific!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

When I visited Glacier a dozen years ago one of the rangers told us that animals frequently fall down the steep slopes in the winter. The lazy bears at the bottom then feast on the frozen carcasses during the spring.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Great. Now I'm going to have nightmares.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

This is a bizarre incident found on an icy road in Glacier back in 2013.
It appears that a mountain lion was locked in an epic battle of survival high above.
Both animals fell to their deaths (gruesome photos, but that's nature)
Both animals slipped and fell to their deaths. The lion still had the ram's hide in his teeth.
The impact was so severe that it knocked the bighorn's sheath completely off the horn.
Note the fur in the mouth of the lion. That's the bighorn's hide.
Another shot of the mountain lion. Both animals probably died instantly.
Why ????????
A brutal compound fracture of the bighorn's hind leg.
It's hard to say how far they fell, but the cliff next to the road is wayyyy high.
This shot gives you an appreciation for the how desperate this lion was for food.
Original source: Outdoor Life
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

Wow, did you take the photos?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

stonehillnews wrote: Wow, did you take the photos?

Those are not actually my photos. The incident happened at Glacier National Park back in 2013 and became viral on the internet.

Supposedly both animals were found on a closed road. The photos were featured in Outdoor Life, but I have not been able to find the photographer's name.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

CrazyHermit posted this story last year...
death-dive-in-glacier-t7566.html

Story from May 22, 2009. https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gall ... death-dive

I'm calling bullshit.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

HikeUp wrote: CrazyHermit posted this story last year...
death-dive-in-glacier-t7566.html

Story from May 22, 2009. https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gall ... death-dive

I'm calling bullshit.
What's bullshit about it? I posted the same story twice, stating that it happened back in 2013 and gave credit to Outdoor Life for the photos. What's your problem?
The only reason it was posted twice is that I thought the original one disappeared once the new format for this site was in place. Sorry the story offended you, troll.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

CrazyHermit wrote:What's bullshit about it?
I wasn't clear what I think is bullshit about it. What I think is bullshit about it is that it is a cockemamy story with unbelievable photos taken by a brother of a friend of an OutdoorLife editor who was in Montana in 2009.

?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Let's keep the argument civil. This is merely a discussion about dead animal pictures and someone else's trip report. We aren't exactly bashing heads over an important moral-political issue here.

CrazyHermit apparently had the wrong date for the incident, which happened in 2009, not 2013. Other than that, I'm not sure what else is obviously false about the story. The pictures look genuine to me.

In the future, if you notice duplicate posts, let me know and I'll consider combining them into one thread, which I have now done in this case.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My comments have nothing to do with CrazyHermit...the original story in Outdoor Life is in my opinion bullshit. That's all I am trying to say!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I've looked around regarding this story. I can't find any confirmation one way or another. Since I am somewhat skeptical, I consider this fake news until proven otherwise. :)

Maybe I need to look harder.
dima

Post by dima »

What's fake-sounding about it? Without thinking too hard, it all seems plausible.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

dima wrote: What's fake-sounding about it? Without thinking too hard, it all seems plausible.
Hi dima! It's my intuition, I suppose. It's certainly plausible but something doesn't look right about the scene. But, hey, if the proof is good, I'll be a believer!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Lack of verifiable sources. "photos taken by a brother of a friend of an OutdoorLife editor "

Intuition.
dima

Post by dima »

I still don't understand how that raises any questions. Do the photos LOOK fake to you? If the brother of a friend of the editor reportedly said the sky was blue, you'd believe that, right?
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: Lack of verifiable sources. "photos taken by a brother of a friend of an OutdoorLife editor "
Anonymous sources are not uncommon in the media. Maybe the photographer doesn't want to be identified. So it boils down to the reputation of OutdoorLife. Do they post a lot of fake news?

If someone staged or faked that scene, they did an amazing job of it, and they went through a remarkable amount of trouble to take photos for which they don't want credit.