EisPiraten's October Hike Planning

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

How about Mt. Wilson from the Sierra Madre?
I have been to Mt Wilson many times from different starting points except this one and then we could eat at the Cosmic Cafe
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Is the cafe still open then? Mt Wilson is 14 miles RT from Sierra Madre or Chantry Flat and the downhill from SM is painful and seems never-ending.
Ending up at a restaurant limits the choices... I would definitely like to go!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Cosmic Cafe is open through November. They don't serve beer. So we'd have to bring our own.

Starting from Sierra Madre to Wilson would be a bit much for me.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote:Ending up at a restaurant limits the choices... I would definitely like to go!
The main restaurants I can think of are:

1. Mt. Baldy Lodge
2. Cosmic Cafe
3. Newcomb's Ranch
4. Crystal Lake Cafe
5. Camp Williams Cafe
6. Melody's Place

There are also all the restaurants in Wrightwood, plus the ones in foothill towns with trailheads. We just went to Top of the Notch, so maybe we exclude that one from consideration, unless people want to do the Three Ts.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Oh yeah, Crystal Lake would be good too....
Islip fits the criteria for mileage and elevation. Also it can be done as a semi-loop to make it a tiny bit more interesting.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Islip can be done as a loop, lollipop, out-and-back, or point-to-point. Many options.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

If its cool enough, Mt Lukens from Dunsmore Canyon fits the bill with about 3,000 feet gain in 10 miles in a loop. You then have Glendale and Tujunga as choice spots for fine dining.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Someone has also suggested to me Waterman Mountain, up from Three Points on trail and down the west ridge XC.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Whooohooo cross country!!!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The west ridge of Waterman is fun.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

It sounds like we have extra enthusiasm for Waterman. Why don't we make it the October trip, before the weather gets very cold up there. Perhaps we can arrange the lower elevation trips for November and December.

If you haven't done so already, please let me know via the poll question which date works best for you (28th or 29th). At some point I'd like to do a group hike on a Sunday, to accommodate whoever can't make Saturdays. So also let me know on this thread (or via PM) if you absolutely cannot make Saturdays. Thanks.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Saturday's are fine if I don't have to lead a hike
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Okay, this hike is confirmed for Sunday the 29th at 8am. I'll leave from La Canada around 6:30am, if you want to carpool. We'll start from Three Points (Adventure Pass required). After hitting Waterman via the trail, we'll come down the West Ridge and bag Double Delight. Afterward, we can hang out at Newcomb's Ranch. Let me know if you can make it and if you need a ride up the ACH.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'm in.
dima

Post by dima »

I'll try to make it. This is easier than El Picacho, right?
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Shoot, I may have to take my car apart on Sunday. Which is unfortunate, because I could introduce my friend P605. We'll see.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

dima wrote:I'll try to make it. This is easier than El Picacho, right?
Yep. Decent trail. Easy XC.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Sean wrote:Okay, this hike is confirmed for Sunday the 29th at 8am. I'll leave from La Canada around 6:30am, if you want to carpool. We'll start from Three Points (Adventure Pass required). After hitting Waterman via the trail, we'll come down the West Ridge and bag Double Delight. Afterward, we can hang out at Newcomb's Ranch. Let me know if you can make it and if you need a ride up the ACH.
Here's a reminder about the hike tomorrow. Cecelia and I typically meet people in the Verdugo Park & Ride or the parking structure across from the old Sports Chalet. Let me know if you need to meet and where. We'll leave La Canada around 6:30am and start from Three Points at 8am. Please reply if you're planning to meet up so that we know to wait for you. Thanks!