Mill Creek Summit stuff

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

I managed to get in a Summit-to-Summit ride yesterday (Mill Creek Summit to Cloudburst Summit). Not much interesting to report for the ride itself, nor any pictures, but I do have some 'road conditions' stuff to report:

1) Parking is now illegal on Angeles Forest Highway south of Mill Creek Summit. The 'No Parking' sign is positioned precisely before the dirt pullout on the Gleason side of the pass (opposite the picnic area), and states that parking within 30 ft of the roadway is now forbidden.

2) There are several really serious rockslides on the Santa Clara Divide Road east of the Pacifico summit spur. One of these slides has a huge UFO-shaped slab blocking nearly the whole road, with a twin UFO hanging precariously about 40 ft above the road. A couple of the big rocks are hiding round blind corners, so if you're on a bike take it slow and stay sharp.

3) The Santa Clara Divide Road has been repaved between Alder Saddle and Three Points.

4) There is a 'thinning' operation on Mt. Hillyer...area looks like crap, with stumps everywhere.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote:4) There is a 'thinning' operation on Mt. Hillyer...area looks like crap, with stumps everywhere.
Are you talking about dead trees from the Station Fire that they cut down or living trees?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Sean wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote:4) There is a 'thinning' operation on Mt. Hillyer...area looks like crap, with stumps everywhere.
Are you talking about dead trees from the Station Fire that they cut down or living trees?
Living...but I think they were out-of-control plantation pines.