Learning basic climbing/canyoneering technique

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

My 10-yr son and I just came back from boyscout summer camp in South Eastern Sierra. I took a basic rockclimbing class with the high adventure group. Learned basic knots, some equipments but very rudimentary. Did 2 rappels and a few easy rock climb. My son is very interest in rock climbing, and I am of course( just have to convince the wife climbing is safe if it is done right, now that is hard!)

Do you know any basic class around Los Angeles area or San Bernardino that I can learn how to set up anchors for rappeling, different techniques of rappel, and more? I live in Monrovia.

Thanks in advance,

Hanh
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Check with the REI in Arcadia. They offer free classes from time to time. Also, by their restroom, there are a lot of flyers from companies not affiliated with REI. Everything from photography to volunteer opportunities to rock climbing. There is also the REI Los Angeles Outdoor School: http://www.rei.com/rei/outdoorschool/LA ... p#Climbing
There's also a climbing gym across Santa Anita from the REI. They may also have some contacts in the climbing world and could hook you up with some training.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

BTW, the name of the gym is ARC, Arcadia Rock Gym.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've been to a couple of the free REI clinics (at least the one in Rancho Cucamonga). They just give you a very basic overview (terminology, types of gear, etc). No skills are actually taught. I guess they can't teach you anything for liability reasons.

Sport Chalet has several training course, some half day and some full day. These courses are actually run by Alpine Training Services. I haven't taken their courses and haven't done any research on them so I can't say if they're good or not.

The place I was going to get climbing instruction from was Vertical Adventures out in Joshua Tree. From the reports I found on the net, they seem like a good outfit. I never did get my training but I hope to do it in the future.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

You would want to go to a rock climbing class rather than a canyoneering one. Different typical anchors,ropes, etc(they are very much different)....both of the above offer rock climbing classes, so cool...
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

@AW, thanks for pointing out there is different anchors for rockclimbing and canyoneering

@Tim, as I gathered information I realize that the free clinics from REI are just introductory to the sports not a Hands-on one. But they have a few climbing specific classes that could be more useful. Most rockclimbing classes are at Northridge REI. Follow Jim's link above.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Calico,

If you want to canyoneer, you need to take one of Rich Carlson's 2-3 day American Canyoneering Association classes. Go to the ACA website and see when the next class at Stony Point is. Rich is top-notch. Plus, he periodically does free classes on anchors. Having first learned about anchors used in trad climbing, I was surprised to learn how creative you often need to be in setting up canyoneering anchors. Rock climbers use the "toss and go" two strand method of rappelling, but in canyoneering you typically rappel on only one strand and you need to learn techniques such as wet disconnects and setting contingency (adjustable) anchors.

Canyoneering is certainly unique. It's a combination of hiking, scrambling, climbing, wading, swimming and rappeling.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Sorry for dropping in way late on this topic .....

Rich / ACA is great...

There are other options too

ATS (Alpine Training Services, local (Sierra Madre CA?))

Zion Adventure Company (Utah)

Northwash Outfitters (Utah)

I'm certain there are others that are ACA accredited, but ATS is good too...(Silly feud between ATS/ACA)

And as you already know canyoneering is different from climbing.. Easily picked up by a climber (though some habits are hard to break)

"Old climbers don't die....They go canyoneering!"

Cheers
Matt
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

for rockclimbing, only way to go is Joshue Tree.

Vertical Adventures (Bob Gaines) is a great start.

or call the climbing shop in JT. they'll hook you up w/ the best guides/ schools