Silver Fish Road to Sentinel Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

A couple years ago I read through Dan Simpson's hiking blog. An entry for Summit 2843 stuck in my mind all this time, because I thought he had a cool name for it: Sentinel Peak. His blog describes the entire hike in detail, so I'll make this report short and sweet.

Willie and I parked at the Silver Fish Rd. early this morning. We had the trail to ourselves and watched steam float up from the wet, sun-kissed canyon.

Another fine feature of the day proved to be the band of clouds encircling us the whole time.

We also saw a couple fresh spider webs which glistened in the dawn light.

The overgrown brush on Silver Fish Road was still very wet from the cold night. I knocked most of the dew droplets off the branches with my hiking pole before passing through the vegetation.

We also contended with a few ticks. One of which followed me home to my shower.

The stream made lots of noise in Water Canyon. We could see a small waterfall by peering through a tree.

It took a couple hours to reach the summit.

We ate some breakfast with a splendid, clear view that stretched all the way to Baldy. Then we came down the steep ridge route. At the road gate we encountered a couple Sheriff's SAR officers driving ATVs.

They were scouting the road to check its viability for use in potential future rescues in the area.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Jeff S and I went up that road to the ridge for a canyoneering trip (didn't finish). The bushwhacking was horrible!!!!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: Jeff S and I went up that road to the ridge for a canyoneering trip (didn't finish). The bushwhacking was horrible!!!!
Which canyon did you try?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

An unnamed one that drops into Robert Canyon. Called it quits when we reached the top of the ridge. It was very hot and it took a very long time to follow the road. Had we followed the leaky trail that shoots up the ridge past the water tank, we would've saved much time.