Looking for N324RS in all the wrong places

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

Last week somebody mentioned a helicopter crash at Baldy. I've been wanting to do more snow stuff, so this was as good an excuse as any to go up there. So I started the day by climbing up Register ridge. Once again this route did that thing that it does: show me bighorn sheep

The bottom of the ridge was fairly dry, but got progressively more icy, and I pulled out the traction devices at about 8000'. Eventually I met the Devil's Backbone trail, with a clear view of the remaining route to the summit:

After a bit more walking and one very sketchy section on the Harwood traverse, I summited:

The snow condition is rather poor. It's pretty much all ice. And where it isn't, it's slush. Today was warm, and I guess the past few days must have been as well. As usual the summit ridge was windy, which resulted in some interesting ice formations:

So far no chopper. The news photos and footage showed the site as the middle of a flat, snowy (and non-descript) ridge. There isn't that much cover, so I walked over to West Baldy and a bit of San Antonio ridge to get a visual on all the snowy ridgelines. No chopper, but the views are grand!

Walking back to the main summit, I noticed a helicopter-sized indentation in the ice, with a smaller, helicopter-boom-sized one next to it:

This is the view towards West Baldy. Not much else around there, so that's the best candidate. Looking at the news footage again, one of the reports has a few frames of a somebody's cell-phone video. The view at about 1:14 looks pretty close to the view in the above photo, and that's good enough for me.

Having closed this case, I began the descent down the Ski hut trail. This had some icy trees (shown here next to San Gorgonio)

and a nice view of the bowl

Once back to my car, I decided to close another open case, and you can read about it here
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

N-ICE!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great shots of the ice. I especially like the trees.
Doesn't look like you had any other traffic up there, no footprints all around.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice pictues Dima. I love the icicle formations! I was a bit curious about that plane crash as well. I would love to do more exploring of plane crashes like the one we did Boxcar Ridge. That was fun!