Falling Rock Canyon to Sugarloaf

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I twisted my ankle a little while back which put me out of commission for a bit so I've been pouting and not visiting the forums cause I'd just get bummed out seeing all the cool stuff y'all are doing that I couldn't do. But the ankle is feeling better so I took it out last week for a test drive in Falling Rock Canyon. I figured if is does ok there, it can do ok anywhere. TR and pics here:

http://wildsouthland.blogspot.com/2016/ ... anyon.html

RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Glad to hear the ankle is better. Good news!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That scree field was a gutsy place to test your ankle. I remember a faint use trail in places, but mostly it was stepping on loose rocks. It's a super fun canyon for scrambling around. Thanks for the photos.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Great report and awesome pictures! Did you see our names in the register? I love falling rock canyon especially descending down the scree.
Btw, speaking of beers. You have to try Lagunitas Brewery in Azusa.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice hike. I also was fooled into trying to ascend to soon when I did this 7 years ago. I went up a ways, then traversed left (south) to get to the proper scree field before ascending to the saddle. Nice pictures and TR.

How far back did the register go? I have a few pics of the register from July 2009 - just curious if those entries are still up there.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Glad to hear the ankle is better. Good news!
Thank you kind Sir.
It's a super fun canyon for scrambling around.
Agreed. One of the more fun places I've been to in the San Gabes. The canyon is also really beautiful as you know.
Did you see our names in the register?
You know what, I didn't which was odd because I know you guys were with Dima on that trip from Cascade. But I just kind of leafed through the register so I probably missed your entry. Thanks for the hot tip on Lagunitas in Azusa. I'm there next time I'm in the area.
How far back did the register go? I have a few pics of the register from July 2009 - just curious if those entries are still up there.
I didn't study the register that closely to be honest so I don't know how far back the earliest entry was. But it looked to be a newer register which was in really good shape so from that perspective it seems questionable whether it dated back to 2009.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Not too surprising. The register I found was in 2 parts - old part dated back to 2003, new part was just a few months if I recall.