2016-06-16 Bear Canyon sawyer

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

if you've ever wondered who removes downed trees - and how they do that - that are blocking your trails, i can tell you it is a small cadre of volunteers. and from around the forests they will occasionally join forces to remove the offender.

bear canyon https://youtu.be/_yMsH_9jlk0

somewhat more than 8 mins.

several issues prevented total removal, but this remains on the angeles national forest sawyers' to-do list.

although i am a certified sawyer, and not seen on the video (i was taking it), i did have a part in the process and definitely had my hands on the saw.

we'll be back.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Was this group part of the San Gabriel Mountains Trailbuiders? We watched them work over several Saturdays repairing the collapsed section of the Icehouse Canyon trail. Now that we are retired in Florida, we have volunteered for some trail work ourselves. We figured that it was time to give back. Maintenance is different here, mostly clearing overgrown trails. A ranger takes the lead with a gasoline powered weed whacker that has a blade not a string. Volunteers follow doing trimming and pruning. The growth rate in the wetter area is high. In a year, you get to repeat the process.
Huff and Puff

Post by Huff and Puff »

Nice video. What were you using to lube the saw? And what about the multicolored wedges? Are they polymer?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Bad ass bardley. Thank you for your trail work. I just had the opportunity to show my daughter what I presumed was your handiwork on the trail leading out to Haddock in the LPNF.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

. no, not the trailbuilders. usfs certified sawyers and crew.

. the lubricant is diesel. wedges are plastic-like. not sure of chemical composition.

. thanks, uncle rico. yes, i've cut a few trees on that trail to haddock mountain - the reyes peak trail.

if you went recently, you walked through this.

https://youtu.be/WHOmZsMsVlI
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for your work. I saw some of you once early in the morning on the Bill Riley trail to San Gabriel Mtn below Disappointment. This was Dec. 2014. You guys were going to town on that forest, clearing low branches and cutting back manzanita.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

bsmith wrote: .
. thanks, uncle rico. yes, i've cut a few trees on that trail to haddock mountain - the reyes peak trail.

if you went recently, you walked through this.

https://youtu.be/WHOmZsMsVlI
Yep. I was through there on May 29 and recall that very spot. 8)
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

Thanks for all your hard work clearing trees and such across the trails. It wore me out watching the video. That's back breaking work cutting those trees with human powered saws!

I'm curious though, why aren't gas powered saws used? Its not because of environmental reason is it because you mention using a gas powered string trimmer and diesel as a lubricant?
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

hiiker wrote: I'm curious though, why aren't gas powered saws used?
good question.

two things:

. i am told that a chain saw crew did not want to cut this tree. not sure why not. we did a fine job and will complete the job by hand when the temps drop about 25 F degrees.

. in a federally designated "wilderness" area - which this not - anything mechanized or wheeled is prohibited. hence the need for the hand saws. we have several wilderness areas on the ojai ranger district.
hiiker wrote: Its not because of environmental reason is it because you mention using a gas powered string trimmer and diesel as a lubricant?
good question # 2.

two things:

. the gas powered trimmer actually had a blade and was being used in florida where the poster currently lives. it would still be prohibited in a wilderness area.

. the amount of diesel we use is minimal - it is sprayed on, is deposited on and absorbed by the tree parts, it is absorbed by the saw dust, and very little actually hits the ground. and it sure makes the saw slide mo bettah.