Mt. Baldy 2008-08-02

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We repeated last week's hike up the Ski Hut trail and down the Devil's Backbone (training for Half Dome Labor Day week). I have never seen this trail so crowded.
It was hard to find a gap to take a pee. Everyone going downhill seemed to be running. Good luck on what kind of shape you knees will be in a few years.
We took a break at the Ski Hut where the roof is half on. The air was bad because some idiot just had to smoke a cancer stick.
Some how I resisted the urge to crack his skull with a rock.
A sail plane buzzed the summit.

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

What time did you stop at the Ski Hut?

What time did you make the summit?

We did the same hike today. We were the three folks with the Brown Dog.

We were at the Ski Hut at 9AM and reach the top by 10AM.

When we reached the top I looked at the other two people and said welcome to Disney Land, now let's go home. At least 30 people were on the summit at 10AM and I passed over 50 people still coming up the Backbone. :roll:

Did you see the group of Ten People with Helmets that went straight down the face of the bowl around 10:20AM?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hit the Ski Hut at 10:30, took a 30 minute rest stop, and reached the summit at 1:00. My wife saw a streak of broken dirt on the face of the bowl and said it looked like someone had gone down it. It must have been the group of ten. What a zoo today.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I've been not wanting to go up Baldy for a while now due to the crowds.

The first time I went up Baldy, I saw 1 person going up, and only 2 people on the summit, that joined me on my way back down the backbone. Best day ever.

30 people on the summit, 50 going down backbone? Makes me sad.

Gotta go during the week soon I suppose. Hopefully not *near* as crowded.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Hopefully the crowds will realize that we need to help support our "Wildlife Area's" and some will realize they do not belong out there. I saw at least three people with inadequate amounts of water - 1 Twelve Once Bottle of water on the high side of Devils Backbone. That scares me.

Richard that is the way the group of ten went down and we left just as you summited, must have missed you by less than 5 minutes.

Hope to see you on the next one.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Funyan005 wrote:I've been not wanting to go up Baldy for a while now due to the crowds.
Get on the trail by 6:00. You will meet a lot of people as you head back down, but no more than 12 or 20 or so at the summit.

Plus you will enjoy the hike up a lot more than later in the morning when the ridges are getting hot.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

RichardK wrote:The air was bad because some idiot just had to smoke a cancer stick.
Some how I resisted the urge to crack his skull with a rock.
RichardK. The only thing I want to smoke is a trail. No good reason to smoke cancer sticks or anything else I say. I wouldn't use a rock. I would just hike right on by! :D