Cabin ruins across Newcombs?

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
missy

Post by missy »

Has anyone seen all the ruins right across Newcomb's restaurant or know anything more about it??

Quite a lot of stuff to see!

That day I was actually on my way to check out Louie Newcomb's Cabin ruins, of which I did find as well

Please check out my full write-up and photos at http://angelesadventures.com/louie-newcomb/
dima

Post by dima »

Neat! Older guidebooks really are a goldmine.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Somewhat related, but has anyone ever located the site of William Sturtevant's summer camp near the Twin Peaks saddle? I don't know that there's anything still there that would identify it, but it'd be kinda cool to find the spot and check it out.
missy

Post by missy »

Uncle Rico wrote: Somewhat related, but has anyone ever located the site of William Sturtevant's summer camp near the Twin Peaks saddle? I don't know that there's anything still there that would identify it, but it'd be kinda cool to find the spot and check it out.

I totally wrote about Sturtevant on my blog post hehe. I sooooo have been wanting to waste a whole day and look for his little retreat to get away from his business and crazy wife shaningans. I've tried to dig up more clues but will just have to to do some good ol walking and searchin. Charles Clark Vernon, historian I think took away most utensils and other stuff that belonged to Sturtevant in his lean-to. Hopefully it's house in some museum and not his personal collection :-/
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I totally wrote about Sturtevant on my blog post
Oh, I'm sorry. I got called away before I finished your entire post and totally missed the Sturtevant stuff near the end. :oops:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Uncle Rico wrote: Somewhat related, but has anyone ever located the site of William Sturtevant's summer camp near the Twin Peaks saddle? I don't know that there's anything still there that would identify it, but it'd be kinda cool to find the spot and check it out.
The only thing would be a flat area....being the cabin was so small that area would be tough to pinpoint even with the clues given.
The definitive source on Chillia is page 9-10
https://trails.lacounty.gov/Files/Docum ... ng1938.pdf
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nice explore Missy...Im a huge fan of Chilao...people just drive by but its got some good stuff and a number of unanswered mysteries....
missy

Post by missy »

AW wrote: Nice explore Missy...Im a huge fan of Chilao...people just drive by but its got some good stuff and a number of unanswered mysteries....
Thank you so much! Here is also a photo of the historian at the Sturtevant reatreat, taken from Robinson's San Gabriels.

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/BfH6ax]
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

A wild trip through history! Thinking about old guidebooks makes me wonder how much has been has been lost and reclaimed by the mountains. How much have the ancient trees seen come and go?
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thanks Missy for that fascinating report, the San Gabs have some amazing history created by the folk who made the trails that we hike today. Your report really brought some of it back to life.

Cheers Phil