7-17-08 Islip Saddle to Devil's Punchbowl

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

I had reports that my geocache located near the tail section of a C-46A Commando was missing. I talked my dad into dropping me off at Islip Saddle, and about 7 hours later, I met my wife at Devil's Punchbowl. I would have taken more pictures but I got tired of pulling the D-50 out of my backpack each time.

The hike takes you North, past Mt. Williamson. You descend to Pleasant View ridge. From there, you slide down to the tail secton of a 63 yr old wreck site. Unfortunately my cache was gone. After looking for the cache, I descended the rest of that nasty, loose, and very dangerous scree slope. By the time I reached the Punchbowl, my knees, ankles, back, shoulders and hamstrings were killing me. Two days later, and it still hurts to walk.

This is my second trip climbing over Mt Williamson, then descending to the punchbowl. Last time was April of 07. I won't make that hike again because it is both dangerous, and very painful.

I carried 134 ounces of water, and used 114. Total elevation gain was about 2700, and total elevation lost was 4700.

Here is my photo album from the trip. Unfortanately, the uploaded a bit out of order.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/s ... Punchbowl/

I made a quick slide show and I added some pictures from my previous trip.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/s ... 54ff4c.pbw
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Kit Fox wrote: I would have taken more pictures but I got tired of pulling the D-50 out of my backpack each time.
I use an old D-70. I have it on that strap and have it hanging around my neck while I hike. All the time. To prevent it from swinging all over the place while hiking I rigged up a mini bungie cord that keeps the camera against my big fat belly. The pack I use has small compartments on the hip belts. On each one is a zipper that has a loop pull thing so I crimped one end of the bungie to the left zipper loop and left the other side loose so I can quickly release it and hook it back up after I take a pic. It really works great!
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

I keep the camera inside of the bag, when I descend because I slip and slide going down the scree slopes. I dropped my D-50 once, one foot above my carpet, and I destroyed the 18-55 lense. I upgraded to a Zoom Nikkor 18-135 lense. I don't want to replace that lense.

I guess a "bino buddy" or chest strap would keep the camera in place. The weight of the camera, and the zoom lense would be a bit much on my neck, on a hike like that.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Kit Fox wrote:I keep the camera inside of the bag, when I descend because I slip and slide going down the scree slopes. I dropped my D-50 once, one foot above my carpet, and I destroyed the 18-55 lense. I upgraded to a Zoom Nikkor 18-135 lense. I don't want to replace that lense.

I guess a "bino buddy" or chest strap would keep the camera in place. The weight of the camera, and the zoom lense would be a bit much on my neck, on a hike like that.
I know almost nothing about cameras. That lens does not look too big. Like those ones that look like a telescope 12 inches long. So you can get used to it after a while. Such a pain to have to take it out of the bag and put it back, take the lens cap off, put it back drop it etc. Makes taking pictures a a pain. Also having it around your neck all the time instead of in your pack pretty much makes it impossible to drop it. Unless you fall. I also leave the lens cap off and leave the sun shroud thing on. I've banged it around a lot and that shroud has protected the lens so far. I figure if I'm up in these beautiful areas why not take as many pictures easily and quickly as I can. The strap around my neck feels no different than the shoulder straps from my pack. You get used to it.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

I here what your saying. I have too much invested in that lense and camera to risk damaging it. If I were to break that camera, or lense, I wouldn't be able to afford a replacement right now. I actual took a few falls toward the end of my trek, and i'm glad I had the camera in my bag.
After descending from Pleasant View, you make a " mostly uncontrollable slide to the bottom of the canyon.

Now whenever I go on a hike on nicely maintained trails, the camera is hanging from my neck, ready to go.
kgw

Post by kgw »

The pictures are great! Glad the camera survived :wink: