Best Hikes in southern UT

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

The gf and I are going to spend 3-4 days doing some camping / hiking in Zion. Now we also want to spend some time in Bryce Canyon.

To anyone who has been to these places (or somewhere else within a few hours), which hikes do you think are the 'must-do' ones?

On the way back to LA via I-15, is there anything else worthwhile to see?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Vegas baby! You're MONEY! :lol:
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

I was in Escalante NP during the July 4th weekend (I was also there during the last Christmas/New Year). It is not as well know as Zion or Bryce, but definitely worth a visit. Very few people, but many hikes and slot canyons, including several non-technical ones fun for all. Also nearby is Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, which includes "The Wave" (although you need to get lucky with lottery for permit held every morning to visit that). Here are some pictures from my trips there:
http://www.outdoorsclub.org/pasttrip/Pa ... ott+Swaney
http://www.outdoorsclub.org/pasttrip/Pa ... ott+Swaney
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Zion is a favorite of mine for both hiking and canyoneering. For short hikes, try Angels Landing and Hidden Canyon. A bit longer, try The Subway. And for all day try the Narrows or Orderville Canyon. Just remember, its monsoon season now meaning the weather can offer heavy rain showers. Check out the following

http://www.zionnational-park.com/
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/allhikes.cfm

Mike C.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Zion Narrows is a MUST. It can be an all day or just a few hours, and its a great way to stay out of the heat. It's 500 feet down from the top of the canyon walls, and the whole trip is almost completely in water. Its great.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Ditto on the Narrows, Angels Landing, Hidden Canyon, Orderville Canyon and Observation Point.

If you've got the time and can get a permit, consider thru-hiking the Narrows from the top (Chamberlain Ranch). The permits have quotas. Sometimes they will close the Narrows if the flash flood danger or the water flow is too great.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

This site has a pretty good selection of adventures to be had in/around Zion (including a good description and map of the Narrows and Angel's Landing). Can't say that I have experienced the joy of the "technical" and "hard core" selections, but if that's your thing, there's plenty to choose from.

http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/index.htm

Have fun, but take your own beer.

-Uncle Rico
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

on my way back from utah i like to stop here for a lil "pick-me-up"
its way better than coffee

http://www.metacafe.com/embed/839243/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

+1 on the Narrows in Zion.

This is slightly "off topic" but if you're in S. Utah, check out the N rim of the Grand Canyon. Really different (much more Coloradoesque) feel than the S rim and a lot fewer people.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Thanks for the suggestions.

It seems that there will be a significant change of thunderstorms/flash floods in early August...how much of a detriment will this be? Will it only rain in short bouts? Will it deter me from most hikes?

The Escalante place looks cool, I had seen those photos before of the really smooth wavy looking rock and wanted to go, we'll see how much time. If I had to choose between Bryce and Escalante, which is more worthwhile?

Oh, and we will be in Vegas for a few nights. Nice juxtaposition!
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

As far as the rains go in southern Utah, they can be heavy at times. Clouds often build around mid-day and rain late in the afternoon. But not always, just be apprised of the weather reports. Stay out of narrow canyons or one's that have large drainages on potentially rainy days.

In Zion, East Rim, West Rim and Angels Landing should be safe even with a few sprinkles but lightning is always a possibility.

If you've never been to Bryce you will enjoy it. If you want to escape the tourists, however, Escalante is the place to go. Try Peek-a-boo and Spooky half way down the Hole-In-The-Rock road (about 25 miles). Take a look at Kelsey's book on Hiking The Colorado Plateau. Don't get lulled in to thinking these are easy hikes though.

Except for Bryce, southern Utah is going to be hot!! Just got back from a week of canyoneering there and high for the days were always above 100....yikes!

Mike C.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

oh so now you gonna take daddys money and gamble in vegas huh? This is really getting outta hand now. you should be grounded. like for a semester.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

As long as you are in Vegas for a couple of days, look at some of the hikes around Mt. Charleston. It's a beautiful area with all kinds of hikes. I was stuck at a trade show there in May a few years back and did early morning hikes (about a 45 min. drive). On one hike, I even got snowed on!
AND - it won't cost you a thing - other than gas....

Enjoy!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

+1 on the Mt. Charleston area. At 11,900' or so it's higher than anything in So Cal. and quite a bit cooler up there than down in the flat. It's about 60 minutes drive from the strip. There are bristlecone pines up there, the oldest living things on the planet.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

FIGHT ON wrote:oh so now you gonna take daddys money and gamble in vegas huh? This is really getting outta hand now. you should be grounded. like for a semester.
I'm gonna chip off part of Tommy Trojan and gamble it off at Caesar's Palace. What are you going to do then?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Duct tape him back together of course.

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:oh so now you gonna take daddys money and gamble in vegas huh? This is really getting outta hand now. you should be grounded. like for a semester.
I'm gonna chip off part of Tommy Trojan and gamble it off at Caesar's Palace. What are you going to do then?
I'M TELLING YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER NOW!
YER IN BIG TROUBLE NOW YOUNG MAN! THAT'S RIGHT, GO TO YOUR ROOM. AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Duct tape him back together of course.

dude! do da math and do the homework THE DUCT TAPE BANDET! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: