Random OC Peaklet near ortega hwy.

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Random OC Peaklet
Off the Ortega hwy by the san juan fire station is a small nameless peak I figured would be a good climb.

I Started from the San Juan trailhead and up the switchbacks to the first saddle. Then I took up a brushy use trail to the summit.
I had been looking on Google earth a few ways to get down. But I ended up descending the SE ridge down some deer trails to a rocky point overlooking the Hwy 74. From there I found the path of least resistance down to the creek bed.
Then I lost my camera in the san juan creek mess …. No trail just a mess of brush. After looking around for 30 min I gave up and walked along the creek until I passed under the bridge. A sort walk along Ortega brought me back to my car disappointed.

So I went back the next day.
I took the fast way up which meant parking at the fire station picnic table and ran up the exposed SW ridge. Apparently Tekewin knows this trail well.

Retracing my steps I followed the SE ridge back down to the Ortega hwy.

Passing the rocky outcropping, and down into the brush again.

MY CAMERA IS IN THIS PICTURE!!!! :(

Looked around for another hour but still no camera.. im positive its in a 30yd stretch of canyon because of where I took the last pictures.
Gave up and walked out alonf Ortega under the bridge and out.

Fun route down the SE ridge no trail but the deer paths make it easy to get through the brush. And the brush is only the bottom 100ft of the ridge, most of it is clear with great views.
A small rocky canyon to the west of the ridge seems like it would be fun to descend.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Yeah, I've been spending a lot of time in the Santa Anas this year doing odd hikes like Peak 2040. You picked an interesting ridge to descend. Looking at Google earth, I can see the outcropping and how you got down to the creek. I also noticed the use trail from the creek up to the bridge.

That sucks about your camera. Hope you find it. If it's any consolation, I've broken two point and shoot cameras this year.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

i figured there is a lot of exploring to do without driving all the way out to the San Gabriel range.

2040 was fun and quick i might start doing it more as a run loop with the san juan trail and the fire station ridge. i saw all the use trails on google earth and figured it would "go".

losing/breaking camera's always sucks especially when its so close to home and every time i pass that damn bridge i'm going to think about it. hahaha

any other possiblities for odd scambles/climbs in the santa anas?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Flores Peak is the small peak on the left at the start of Harding Truck Trail. Easy to climb from the south. Flag at the top.

Margarita Lookout has great views and a collapsed tower, but that won't save you any drive time. Continue past the turn off to Tenaja Falls to get to Margarita Road. You can drive within a half mile of it with a 4x4.

Stag BM is a lot of bushwhacking for mediocre views, but the Cold Springs Trail is worth doing. Almost guaranteed to see deer there along the creek.

I am pretty sure you've done all my recent Santa Ana hikes: Harding Canyon Falls, Chiquito Falls, Vulture Crags.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Harding falls was fun! I actually went a few ears back when we actually had water then went back last year and it was pretty dry.

Chiquito falls can wait for a wet year :(

Margarita peak Intrests me, that drive is pretty bad.

I've been doing this little sub peak off the bell ridge trail from Robinson ranch up to the flagpole. A few different ways to get up to the peak (old fire road, steep use trail, less steep use trail) then back down this narrow single track down into trabuco canyon and back via the bell view trail. Quick 4 miles nice views.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I've been doing this little sub peak off the bell ridge trail from Robinson ranch up to the flagpole. A few different ways to get up to the peak (old fire road, steep use trail, less steep use trail) then back down this narrow single track down into trabuco canyon and back via the bell view trail. Quick 4 miles nice views.
Do you have a GPX track for that loop?

I've been to Los Pinos and the mesa, but not Bell Ridge.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/794477464

that link might work.

if not

s c o t t a w r i c h a r d s o n @ g m a i l . com

email me and ill send you the gpx
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Does this bump have a name? Random Peak?

I think we all need to start chaining our cameras and devices to our belts.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

It's just Peak 2040 in Peakbagger. No other local name as far as I know.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

I don't really think it deserves a name or anything. 2040 bump hill peak mountain.