Sunset and moonrise

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Last Saturday was one of those cool moments when things just come together at the right time. Sunset was at 7:23pm and the 99.7 percent full moonrise was at 7:25. What better place to watch them than out of the city?
I worked later than planned so once again didn't have much time. I planned to be on the summit of Potato Mountain for this momentous event, and arriving at the parking area at 6:30 didn't leave me much time. After fishing around in my pack I discovered that both of my headlamps were missing, so I grabbed the little Maglite out of the glove box and got moving.
It was nice and cool in Evey Canyon but warmed up fast when I got to the road junction. Due to the late hour I went up the ridge route, thinking all the time that I need to pay attention and not do something stupid like step on a snake. Fortunately that didn't happen and I was sitting on the water tank at about 7:10. Since Potato is in the lower front range I couldn't see the sun but there was a nice orange glow in the sky and along the coast, even out to Catalina island.
I hung out there for a while, and I gotta tell you watching the huge full moon come up over the mountains to the east was spectacular. Why does it look so big when it's low on the horizon?
I had to wait for about 20-25 minutes before the moon was giving enough light to make walking easy, but then it was extremely bright. I didn't need any light for the first section, but turned mine on when I saw some other folks on the trail. One of them warned me they saw a rattlesnake lying across the trail just around the bend so I should keep an eye open. I didn't know which bend they meant so I used the light until I was nearly at the end of the road and back to my parking spot. At that time of day every stick looks like a snake....
Just another great day to be out in the mountains.

Halfway up

Last section is steep

Water tank on the summit. Bad spelling.

Looking out towards Catalina.

Moonrise.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
solar

Post by solar »

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

"Why does it look so big when it's low on the horizon?"

Has to do with the angle at which we view it and how the atmosphere at that angle can magnify it.. I think.

But check out Lynch and Livingston's "Color and Light in Nature" (ISBN-13: 978-0521775045) if you really want to know. This book changed the way I see the outdoors. And its got quite a few San Gabriel Mountain references and pics.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

solar wrote: Has to do with the angle at which we view it and how the atmosphere at that angle can magnify it.. I think..
Refractionas a result of the curvature of the Earth's atmosphere, and thus more 'media' for the light to pass through (or something like that)?