Beer Creek - To 2nd Camp From West Fork Road

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
EBruddah

Post by EBruddah »

Did an overnighter to Bear Creek about a month ago. It was a nice night after a storm and the creek was running. Water's low as to be expected and water crossings are easily had. Got to our camp quickly no one else out there that night. Heard some folks saying that there was a huge bear in the parking lot at West Fork. We saw no cat but did run into a tiny bobcat who was just as curious as us. Had no incidents with wild life. All and all a relaxing hike with a good friend. Setup a simple tarp and had some snacks on the way out after coffee... It was an 18 hour trip total.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Thanks for the info. How was the trail after the first camp? I haven't been that way in almost ten years. I keep meaning to check out the trail condition from Smith Saddle down to the second camp, but the heat keeps foiling my plans.
EBruddah

Post by EBruddah »

You're welcome. Trail was in great shape. Water level very low, We were actually surprised to see as much water as we did. Lots and lots of poison oak. I haven't done the trail from Smith Saddle since 2012. I came up from West Fork Road. Looks like it will be another year till we can get up on Smith.
EBruddah

Post by EBruddah »

• Water's really low..

Improvised bear bag...

Fancy trail food

Water Run

DPower Stove

Some Coon Tracks

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I remember seeing this bigass black bear in Bear Creek once, a mile or so south of the branch that comes from Twin Peaks. Nutso. Big dude. Biggest bear I've seen in the wild. Arright, not trying to fish story it or anything but seriously.
EBruddah

Post by EBruddah »

Taco wrote: I remember seeing this bigass black bear in Bear Creek once, a mile or so south of the branch that comes from Twin Peaks. Nutso. Big dude. Biggest bear I've seen in the wild. Arright, not trying to fish story it or anything but seriously.
I totally believe you... I've seen some huge bears near the trailhead by West Fork but have been fortunate enough to have not run into any deep on the trail.