Cucamonga Peak 07-12-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I've had this one at the top of the list since last fall, and finally the weather gods listened.

Had a surprisingly large number of participants join up for this hike, most starting at 8:15 and myself and a few others at 9.

The trail offered a few unique views for this day, such as this:

followed almost immediately by this:

Llamas? Am I back in Peru?

Anyways, we continued on. This is a very nice hike. I'd only say I'm not a fan of trails with so much rock as this one, kinda slows me down, as well as not nice on the feet. Made it up in 2 hrs. The climb up Cucamonga past the saddle with Bighorn is a very good grade with pleasant views.

Special thanks to Tim for watching for the gal who was struggling. Apparently I still fail 'screening'. But I'm surprised that you got her up to Timber, nice job!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

How long did the whole trip take ya?

You made it up in 2 hours from where? Just curious, either I'm amazingly slow, or you're rediculously fast!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Funyan005 wrote:How long did the whole trip take ya?

You made it up in 2 hours from where? Just curious, either I'm amazingly slow, or you're rediculously fast!
Those are his Llamas. He rode em up.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Never a dull moment in Icehouse Canyon. We saw those llamas when we came up too. I guess they belong to the guy who lives at the cabin next to the Chapman Trail split because I saw them "parked" there today.

Joe is not normal. He's just fast.

No problem about that gal. She actually can hike, it's just she needed to be with a 3rd Unit. I think Tim's Guide Service won't be taking any more clients--I don't want to set any more precedents. But I did my good deed for the year so Santa better be good to me!!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Getting up Cucamonga in 2 hrs is reasonable for me. The average grade is ~ 12%. I'll do some cardio exercise during the week, and if I do incline treadmill I'll do stuff like run at 10% at 5 (long) - 7 (6 min) mph. I can walk at 15% at 4 mph for long time, so 2 hrs for Cucamonga represents a time for me to get a decent cardio workout, especially in the last 2 miles.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Oh btw apparently a couple of guys decided to take the register while we were up there. Nice guys, nice.