Florida Mountains

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Since the board is slow, I will post this report. We took a break from unpacking and climbed the high point in South Florida Sunday - Hobe Mountain in Jonathan Dickinson state park. It is an ancient sand dune 85 feet above sea level reached by a wooden boardwalk. On top is an observation tower, also wood. The rangers advised oxygen. I informed them that our house is 50 feet above sea level. So, we are acclimatized. A few pictures are here including an endangered gopher tortoise.

View from the top. It looks the area burned at some point in the past.

The boardwalk is visible to the right. The water on this side of the island is the intercoastal waterway. The island is Jupiter Island. Beyond is the Atlantic.

The tortoise:

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Great TR!!! Reminds me of living in New Orleans. Dig a hole 6" deep and hit groundwater!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Dang Richard. Glad you didn't get AMS.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Wow! No crowds, not a ton of vehicles, clean air... how disappointing!

Did you ask the ranger how many times they need to helicopter people off that mountain?
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

There you have it, making the best of what you have available. Lots of interesting things to explore there, just different...

And as for the Loxahatchee:
"This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn. See uh, this here river don't go nowhere near Aintry."

kind regards,
Arocknoid
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You really should be careful at that elevation. Maybe stash some O2 up there in case you start feeling symptoms of AMS next time.