Eaton Saddle to Desolation Pinnacle

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Tekewin was telling me about an attempt he made on the nifty, cone-shaped bump a little SW of Mt. Disappointment. He calls it Desolation Pinnacle, which fits with the general theme of peak names in the area.

Like most nifty, seldom-visited things in the Gabes, it had been on my mind for a few years now. And yesterday was the day to get it done. Plus, my friend Willie was itching to do some scrambling.

After deciding against a direct, gully approach from Markham saddle (too much brush), we walked the trail and road up to Mt. Disappointment, and then started down the south ridge.

Some poodle dog blocks the ideal path, so we managed some class 3 downclimbing on pointy boulders.

The ridge is quite narrow with steep, slick, sandy surfaces. A stumble could result in tumbling off the ridge and sliding some distance into brush or worse on either side.

We soon came to the small saddle between Disappointment and the Pinnacle. From here it's a steep, but relatively easy scramble to the summit blocks.

It's perhaps the best viewing spot in the canyon, because you have a clear, 360-degree panorama of all the surrounding mounts: Lowe, Markham, San Gabriel, Disappointment, and Deception. You can also see other peaks in the distance, like Harvard, Wilson, Lawlor, Strawberry, and Josephine. The clouds blocked our view of Brown.

For the return trip, we avoided the ridge and dropped into a little gully leading up to Disappointment's SE shoulder. The short climb out was steep but merely class 2 with easily avoidable poodle dog.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Super! Cool photos and charred rocks. I got down to your 5th photo, with Willie on the gray dirt, before turning back. Now that you've found a better way to get there, this will have to go back on my agenda. Thanks for documenting the route. That jagged little pinnacle needs more visitors.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Ive always looked up at that little peak and wondered if it was possible to climb or too loose. cool hike!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I couldn't resist the new route so went up before work. Thanks Sean and Willie for the route guidance. Here are a few "me too" photos and a 360 video link.

Sleepy town

Mt. Wilson

Near the bottom of the gully

Cairn set up by Sean and Willie

Descending the pinnacle

360 video from the summit
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I've always wanted to check this out as well, good to know it's doable :)