Villager & Rabbit

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Days off this week had a rainy forecast for most of the LA/OC area, so I decided to drive to sunny skies out in Anza Borrego. I decided to try to hike to Villager peak and Rabbit If I felt up to the challenge.
Drove out Tuesday night and slept in my car at the Yaqui pass campground. I woke up at 6:30 and drove into Borrego springs grabbed a coffee and headed out to the trailhead off S22.
I started hiking across the desert floor around 7am, The path was easy to follow and well ducked. I followed the path up the ridge hiking between ocotillos and barrel cacti taking in views of the desert.

The ridge gain elevation and then flattened and repeated a few times with 100’s of knobs and false summits. Great views of clark lake and the desert.

Soon the west side of the ridge turned into a crumby cliff with some memorable drops.

Eventually I made it to Villager Peak, there were lots of cool flowers on the trail now. My gps said 7.5 miles about 5000ft in about 3hr. I signed the register then it noticed how far rabbit peak was, and knew if I wanted to try I had to get moving.

The section of ridge between villager and rabbit is an undulating hell ridge and it was getting to the hottest part of the day at about 80. But there were good views, And I got to watch 4 fighter jet flybys (

Made it to Rabbit peak after about 2hrs (5.5total with break @villager) the last mile up to rabbit was tough but it was nice knowing I was done going up and down on the ridge. Rabbit summit was a plateau but interesting none the less. I took a little break and then began the LONG trip back to the car.

The heat started to get to me a little while hiking back so I took breaks in the shade whenever possible. I picked up my water cache at villager as the clouds stared to block out the sun for some more relief.

I really liked this section of the trail especially on the way back.

I brought about 6l of water and used it all finishing the last with about 3 miles left. 24miles 8000ft total.

Pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/98779591@ ... 735718030/
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Hi Scottawr,

Nice report and great pics, 24 miles and 8K elevation in the desert environment thats pretty darn good going, plus all that exposure to the sun, the cloud cover must have been a welcome relief. If that is Rabbit Peak (center top) in your fourth picture scrolling down, the undulating ridge looks quite a challenge, did you stay on the ridge top all the way.

Phil
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

The sun getting covered up was fantastic! Especially after 6-7hours of hiking with the sun beating down on me. There were a few decent shade trees I was using and a great rock shelter right after you drop down off villager on the way to rabbit. This shelter would make a great campsite.

The trail stayed on the top of the ridge for the most part. I didn't have any issues with brush or route finding.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome, epic hike! You made good time going up. Definitely on my list for some day.

Your picture from Villager is kind of discouraging. Rabbit looks like million miles away.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

Yea the view of rabbit from villager was discouraging but nothing compared to how far the trailhead seems from rabbit peak.

My one bit of advice is once you leave villager for rabbit DO NOT LOOK BACK! 11.5 miles isn't a whole lot but it's all in a straight line and it makes it seem farther.