Waterman, Twin Peaks, & Triplet Rock via Buckhorn Campgr

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

Ahh, My first Post here! I'm RJ and I love to run around in the Mountains. Thanks for having me! Also, what does Eispiraten mean? :?

Anyway,

Driving Directions

To go straight to Google Maps and just add your starting point, click here.

Otherwise...

From the 210 Freeway, Take the CA-2/Angeles Crest Hwy exit toward La Cañada Flintridge.
Drive about 35 miles through the windy roads until you reach Mile Marker 58.
Just past this marker on the left is a small turnout where you can park.
If you've hit Buckhorn Campground, you've gone too far.

Trailhead

The Trailhead is located further down the road, directly across from Buckhorn Campground. It is a fire road with a white gate in front of it.

The Route

If you wanted to bag Waterman Mountain first, you could stay along the main fire road all the way to the top like I did. The Waterman loop trial picks up just north of the large group of rocks at the summit (highest point) and continues east until descending toward a trail junction. Follow the junction to Twin Peaks.

Alternatively...

If you wanted to skip Waterman Mountain and reduce your trip by about 2 miles and 200 feet of gain, you could do so by taking the FIRST LEFT from the trailhead (small singletrack located 25-50 feet past trailhead).

After Reaching the Twin Peaks saddle signage, you would continue directly south past the downed tree which blocks the trail. Here, you will gain roughly 1200 feet in a mile to the summit of Twin Peaks.

And this is where it gets tricky...

As you will most definitely notice from the top of Twin Peaks, the rest of the route is in fact not a route at all. You will slide down screen fields, climb against flat walls with 20 foot drops below you, send loose boulders flying down into canyons, destroy your favorite upf 50 rated hiking shirt, and cry to your mommy before turning around because the 20 feet you just down climbed leads to a 100 foot cliff drop. This is all besides the fact that it is practically raining rattle snakes throughout the ridge.

Advice for the Ridge Past Twin Peaks

I think for the most part, I tried to avoid down climbing too much, and mostly stayed to the east side of the ridge for the first two notches. The last notch before you start ascending toward Triplet Rocks is where I started moving toward the west side of the ridge. The author of the link I provided describes this against the San Antonio Ridge Trail in terms of difficulty. I don't believe that is a fair contender as the SA ridge requires physical endurance, and Triplet Rocks will test you mentally.

Good Luck & Be Safe!

Resources:
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=3117939 (my original trip report)
https://www.strava.com/activities/276238586

The view from Waterman Mountain.

The First Trail Junction.

Twin Peaks Saddle

Signage at Twin Peaks Saddle.

Almost THere

So CLOSE!

awwee Yeah!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Legit
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

excellent!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hmmm...that was...

_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

Piece o' Cake! :shock:
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

The "So Close" photo showed triplet to be about what I expected. I'll be heading out there about never. ;)

2 Legit.
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

You can't have a blogsite called iron hiker without hittin' this beast!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

That is a great first report. Please keep them coming.
missy

Post by missy »

Welcome! So... Triplet Rocks + waterman + twin peaks? You BEAST! :twisted: what are you? Jk Rad trip report and pictures! :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Very nice! Did you scramble up the first block and sign the register (if it's still there)? Curious how many signatures it has now.

Edit: Also I noticed on the way back you avoided going all the way back up to Twin Peaks and tried to hit the saddle directly. I remember those gullies and terrain on that side being pretty difficult. You think it was worth it than going back up Twin Peaks?
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

wrote: Very nice! Did you scramble up the first block and sign the register (if it's still there)? Curious how many signatures it has now.

Edit: Also I noticed on the way back you avoided going all the way back up to Twin Peaks and tried to hit the saddle directly. I remember those gullies and terrain on that side being pretty difficult. You think it was worth it than going back up Twin Peaks?
Whoa! Your trip report was the main reason I was able to manage this. So first off, THANKS!

Honestly, I spent maybe 10 minutes at each summit, mostly taking a quick picture, re-evaluating my next move, and having a quick snack. I noticed it would be possible to climb onto the other rocks, but I also had some really worn shoes and was afraid I would fall between the rocks. So, I actually didn't explore much at all. :(

As for avoiding Twin Peaks round two, I had decided after seeing some rattlers, that manzanita + sunlight = rattlers. I was also trying to avoid sunlight because as you can see in the pictures, I brought the absolute minimum amount of water to do something like this. I can climb without sweating at a steady pace, but with that sunlight, I was sweating bricks even when stopped. I had to play it safe.

The downside (pun intended), was that yes, those gullies were difficult at times. At certain points, I really wanted to just climb back up because I knew there were some parts that were clear up there. However, there were also some really easy scree fields and animal tracks down there that I was able to follow and when checking my average pace on Strava, I was going about the same speed that I was on the way down anyway. So I think it was AS difficult as going across the ridge, but safer in light of my circumstances. Dude, thanks again for the awesome trip report! You made this happen!
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

RichardK wrote: That is a great first report. Please keep them coming.
Thanks Richard! Will do!
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

This is starting to resemble my epic Mt. McKinley climb and write-up.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

You can't have a blogsite called iron hiker without hittin' this beast!
See teke, that's what you get. Now you have to go to Triplet. I deliberately set the bar low by calling my blog the Tissue Paper Hiker so that I could always exceed everyone's low expectation of me. Now I can rest comfortably in the knowledge that absolutely no one expects me to make the trip _k_r just made. :D
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote: See teke, that's what you get. Now you have to go to Triplet. I deliberately set the bar low by calling my blog the Tissue Paper Hiker so that I could always exceed everyone's low expectation of me. Now I can rest comfortably in the knowledge that absolutely no one expects me to make the trip _k_r just made. :D
I have hiked Big Iron, which is what the site is named after, not Triplet Rocks Hiker as you pointed out. Iron is pretty hard, but there are a lot of harder hikes (and people). I might give Triplet a try some day but I would look for an easier route. I also have to conquer gun sight first and improve my skills.
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

tekewin wrote:
Uncle Rico wrote: See teke, that's what you get. Now you have to go to Triplet. I deliberately set the bar low by calling my blog the Tissue Paper Hiker so that I could always exceed everyone's low expectation of me. Now I can rest comfortably in the knowledge that absolutely no one expects me to make the trip _k_r just made. :D
I have hiked Big Iron, which is what the site is named after, not Triplet Rocks Hiker as you pointed out. Iron is pretty hard, but there are a lot of harder hikes (and people). I might give Triplet a try some day but I would look for an easier route. I also have to conquer gun sight first and improve my skills.

haha, I was just foolin' about! Tissue Paper Hiker!!! hahahaha