Lower Sam Merrill Trail to Echo Mtn.

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Yesterday, I took a trail run with a buddy up to Echo Mtn. from Lake Ave. At 8:30 am, there was plenty of shade so it was very pleasant. Hikers were out in force. On the way down, we ran into a group of about 20 mountain bikers who apparently can't read signs and don't review beta on bike permissible trails in the San Gabriels. Don't get me wrong--I'm a big mountain biking fan myself. But how much fun can you have on a very busy trail where you have to stop for hikers every 2 minutes? At least these guys were courteous; they would stop and let us run past as we descended.

You can get to Echo on a mountain bike by going up the Sunset/Lowe fireroad to the Echo Mtn Trail or up to Inspiration Point and then heading down the Middle Sam Merrill Trail.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Augie wrote:On the way down, we ran into a group of about 20 mountain bikers who apparently can't read signs and don't review beta on bike permissible trails in the San Gabriels. Don't get me wrong--I'm a big mountain biking fan myself. But how much fun can you have on a very busy trail where you have to stop for hikers every 2 minutes? At least these guys were courteous; they would stop and let us run past as we descended.

You can get to Echo on a mountain bike by going up the Sunset/Lowe fireroad to the Echo Mtn Trail or up to Inspiration Point and then heading down the Middle Sam Merrill Trail.
You aren't supposed to ride bikes on the Sam Merrill Trail? I've only been on it twice, but both times it was crawling with bikes.
Nunc est bibendum