Ontario plus Bighorn

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Last weekend I managed to get all my house obligations put off until the holiday so I wandered up to Ontario and Bighorn peaks. It was a great day to be outside and surprisingly not very busy along the Icehouse Canyon trail. Arriving at 7:30, I was able to get a spot in the parking lot and as usual took off way too fast - I have a hard time with pace when I don't get out enough. The sweat running down the side of my face is usually a good reminder to slow down a little and enjoy the time out in the semi-wildnerness. After a stop at the 2-mile mark to zip off the pant legs, I lingered at Columbine Spring to fill a spare water bottle and only made a brief stop at the saddle for a couple pictures. Then it was directly on toward Kellys Camp. I met a few people on their way back from overnights, and they said it was a little icy near Kellys. Thanks for the warnings.... I negotiated a few stretches, wearing just trail runners I took small steps for the 20-30 yard sections. I wandered around the camp a bit but didn't see the water pipe. I've been there before and actually filled bottles from it but this time of year there isn't any greenery to let you know you're close.
Anyway, on to Ontario..... A bit of ice was in the shady sections here too, nothing serious although trekking poles make the walking a lot easier. I had the summit to myself for a few minutes, and after a little snack I headed back down. The walk to Bighorn was uneventful, although I had forgotten just how much elevation you give up on the way over there. I managed a couple photos from the summit there and then the adventure started. I planned to head down the north side straight to Icehouse saddle, and from the top it looked easy enough. I could see snow on the ground but also plenty of dirt so I thought I could negotiate a route pretty easily. Not so fast my friend, once I got a few hundred yards downhill I started running into larger patches of slick ice. Without any traction devices, I was not in a good situation. I ended up walking through the manzanita brush and across the tops of the fallen trees, but it took nearly an hour to reach the trail again. That was the only way I could make good progress, the ice was too slick everywhere to just head down as planned.
Definitely not one of the smartest things I've ever done. I slipped once and managed to grab a handhold, saving myself a speedy trip into the brush about 20 feet below. Hindsight tells me that I should have stopped to zip on my pant legs again, all week I've had these uncomfortable scratches all over my legs. Lesson learned is be safe out there.

Pics too:

Trailhead. I take these so I can remember just where I went.

Snow patches before the saddle.

Looking up from the saddle.

Trail to Kellys Camp.

Kellys Camp in the morning. A group of Boy Scouts spent the night there too.

Almost to Ontario summit.

Cool view from the top. Catalina and San Clemente in sight, clouds covering the ocean.

Queen of the San Gabriels. Last of the white top for this so-called winter.

Not too epic but I left a little blood on the mountain too. This is before the manzanita adventures.

Route down from Bighorn. I thought it would be easier.

Trail finally in sight again.

Still another great 13-plus mile day in the SG!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice trip. The shady sections are holding on to their ice, plenty to ruin your day in trail runners. Thanks for sharing.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice pics Jeff. I'm surprised there's any snow/ice at this stage.