Allison Gulch Ropes and Mines

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Missy wanted to check out the Allison Mine and all that jazz up in Allison Gulch at the base of the south face of Iron, a huge face made of a billion tiny missiles. Has anyone ever tried to go up it? Seems like a really terrible idea, but I wonder that on a regular basis.

I needed some sleep, as I wasn't going to get to be until after midnight the previous night. A 10am pickup time in the human zoo meant we would be doing the hike pretty late. I figured we'd be back at the cars around 9pm or so. One must hike up the trail up Iron to Allison Saddle, then along the trail to Allison Gulch around a ridge or two, or three, or more. I remember this section being a pain in the ass when I hiked here a few years back, but found it mostly pleasant with really green sections on north-facing slopes. We reached the mine at 3:40 or so. I figured last usable light was around 5:30, so Missy could go cheggout her mine shafts (huhuh, you said shafts) before I run down and rig the first rapp and all that jazz.

ImageAllison Gulch by TacoDelRio, on Flickr
Missy hiking up the trail

The technical section, which contains 3-4 rappels depending on how you run it, I guess. We did 4.

Not a bad section hurrrrr

Down the canyon

I hate mines, so I'll just wait outside.

Mega-homeless shoe modz 3.0

Cheggout dem Dudleya breh

We'll have some decent moonlight tonight

Welcome to the funzone, a place where nobody can see you not having any fun. Kinda like work, but at least Uncle Slam ain't takin' 99 of yo GI bucks.

The first three rappels went fine. Upon pulling the rope for rappel #3, the rope became stuck. I tried to break it free, but it wasn't happening. The pullcord is real thin Amsteel Blue Dyneema shoelace. It is much too narrow to pull by hand, and no ascenders fit it, so I'm forced to clove hitch it around a biner and start yanking. Being very small, it's a total pain in the ass to untie. Get whatever damn Imperial measurement comes out to around 7-8mm (.308 gun jokez hurr durr).

I hiked downstream a bit to see if there was a way out. It was completely dark by now, and my Mammut whatever annoying headlamp was pissing me off. Damn thing has a spot function that isn't as bright as an average lamp nowadays, and a weak flood. The headband doesn't fit my head, so I must wear it on a helmet or get a headache. Anywho, it's a piece of crap for me. Didn't find a way out without taking the next (and longest) rappel, so I had to get the damn thing unstuck.

I hiked back up to the rappel, cleared the strands up, and made Prusiks out of a double length nylon runner and some anchor webbing. The first step is maybe 45ft, then through a nuts-deep pool of pretty decently cold water, then up over some boulders. It was a pain in the ass, and I'm spoiled from using Jumars. Found the pull cord and rope all twisted together around the link on the anchor, effectively fixing the rope. I undid all that, moved the biner block point further along the rope to keep the tiny cord from interfering again, and went down. Rope pulled just fine. Well, with this cord it's always a little unpleasant and painful, but life is nothing but pain punctuated by short moments of relative rest, times with less noise and stimulation. I'm gonna use it for everything but a pullcord. Gotta pick up a thicker cord. It's pretty cheap, so no biggie.

The last rappel is 80ft or so, and really beautiful. I brought a 100ft rope this day, and I think with about 15ft or so above the lip, I had maybe 10ft left on the ground. Just about right. Very slippery unless you were standing in the water flow. I could only imagine Missy was having a bit of a tough time, as this is one of her first canyons, and she's doing what feels like a big rappel, while wet, at night, with a buncha hiking left to do.

Speaking of a buncha hiking, I think we reached East Fork after 9. You end up just a short walk upstream of Swan Rock with this canyon. The hike out was pleasant, if a bit long. It never seems shorter, you know, these fixed distances. When I got out of the canyon, I said to myself "It never gets easier, but it never really gets harder, either." Makes sense there and then.

We arrived back at the car at 11:10, dried off, and went back to Human Zoo Metropolis for some In-n-Out.

Zap!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: ...life is nothing but pain punctuated by short moments of relative rest, times with less noise and stimulation.
I'm glad you got some relative rest, Taco. Cool trip. Is the trail to Allison Mine in decent shape?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Indeed I did. I would be completely insane were it not for our San Gabriel Mountains.

The trail from Allison Saddle is quite good! The trail up from east fork, however... not so good.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Really great pics Taco. That "Down the Canyon" shot has a vintage and unreal look to it. Nicely done.