Icehouse Christmas

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I walked up Icehouse Canyon on Christmas morning, had to be back in time for some family to come over so didn't go as far as I might have liked. It was a cold and very windy time out there... The sun felt good but the combination of shade and wind was tough. I sat at the saddle for a while enjoying some hot chocolate and a Clif bar.
The last half mile was nearly all on packed icy snow. I had crampons but did not use them.
Only six cars in the parking lot when I arrived, but by the time I drove out at noon it was full and the road up from the valley was busy too.

First sun when I crossed into the Cucamonga Wilderness.

Looking back down canyon from near Columbine Spring. The water was flowing well there and actually felt warm.

Saddle area. My hands were uncomfortably cold when I got here, took a while in the heavier gloves to get the fingers moving.

Sunny side of the saddle. Warmer here but hard to find a wind break.

Double shot of hot chocolate.

Snow on Baldy is disappearing quickly.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Looks like a fun trip. That place is very cold in the winter. Icehouse earns the name.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

I climbed Cucamonga on the 27th. There was lots of snow and icy snow from the Saddle all the way up. I put my crampons on about 10 minutes below icehouse Saddle. There were spots between Icehouse Saddle and Cucamonga Saddle where they were definitely a good idea, and spots where they munched in the dirt.

The climb was great. Barely disturbed snow, green conifers and blue sky. The only downside was the ice on the tail near the springs in the area of the huts. Some of this is on rocks and in twilight it is hard to see (not as hard as the ground as I found out). So be careful in the canyon.

Another snow this week and another chance to visit the mountains.

Jerry