Colby Canyon Recon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

With the "No Parking" and "Trail Closed" signs finally removed from the trailhead, I decided yesterday was the day to get into Colby Canyon. My short loop-route took me up Colby Canyon to the Josephine Saddle, up to the unnamed point to the immediate south of the water tower, west along the ridgeline to the Josephine Fire Road, down to Clear Creek, along the roadside trail to Switzer, and then along ACH back to Colby Canyon.

Colby and Daisy Canyons were shaded and cool. There is still some water flowing in the canyon and over the falls. As a general proposition, the trail is in great shape. Higher up, it's bit rocky and there are a few wash-outs, but nothing major. Given the amount of time the trail has been closed, I expected much worse. Bonus: no PDB or poison oak.

When I got to Josephine Saddle I contemplated the west ridge of Strawberry, but thought the better of it since I was solo.

Enjoyable little circuit.

Colby Canyon from the Trailhead

Hard to tell from this pic, but there was still a bit of flow coming over the falls

Colby Canyon

The path through Daisy Canyon

Looking down Colby Canyon from higher up the trail

Colby Canyon Silhouettes

Upper Colby Canyon

Yucca stalk cam (note the correct spelling this time TK)

Strawberry Peak

Lucas Creek Drainage from Josephine Saddle

Josephine Peak and Fire Road

Mt. Wilson

San Gabriel and Mt. Disappointment

One more of Strawberry

The LA Basin and Beyond
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Sweet view of downtown and the ocean.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Quite the lovely sight.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Great shots! Thanks.

I've never been very far up that trail...must try it. Fell down a cliff there once, trying to go XC, loads of fun!!! :)