Christmas Eve Baldy Climb

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

ImageBaldy Sunset by TacoDelRio, on Flickr

I got a late start. 11am at the trailhead. The night before I was with my best friends. We had just lost a good buddy of ours. Robert was murdered in LA. He would've been happy up on the hill.

I was thinking of climbing the north face. I didn't know if I had the energy. I decided against it after reaching the summit at 3pm. I climbed up the Bowl and through Dostie's Dare, one of the steep chutes on the left side of the bowl. Still early conditions with unconsolidated snow.

The ever-present wind on the top blew ice crystals into my eyes. I'm soft from my time in the city working all the time. All work and no play makes me thin and weak throughout.

I took the scenic way down Devils Backbone, along the top of the north face of Harwood to stay on some snow, and along the ridge to the summit to think. I descended directly down the edge of the ridge to the trail. It felt good to be back in a place I feel is home.

A good song for the soul:

I wish to be lost in my mountains again.
missy

Post by missy »

Glorious flaming tones lingering in the winter sky. What a lovely sunset to go with that song. Wishing you peace and loving memories to forever hold.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Magnificent shot Taco.

Sorry about your fallen amigo. Damn life is unpredictable.

Peace to you my friend.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Maybe that's not the sun, but an alien spaceship beaming someone off the ridge.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great pic and excellent trip.
Also a nice reminder about the places we feel are home.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Awesome sunset. Sincere condolences for your friend, stuff like that is always shocking.