Middle Fork Lytle Creek -- TR

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Just a quick trip report from the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek in the San Gabriel Mountains here in Southern California.

It's dry out because of the current multi-year drought, but the Middle Fork typically has water, so we thought we'd give it a go before things got too cold for me to take my daughter.

It's a bit heavy for me to carry everything for the both of us, particularly when the mercury takes a dive, but my Gossamer Gear Mariposa seemed equal to the task (albeit stuffed to the gills).

We thought we'd head up to Third Stream Crossing for the night.

Accompanying us were Mangus and his lovely daughter.

It was cloudy and cool. The last hints of fall were still to be seen.

Little Joycie seems to be just as big of a gear head as I am. Here she is trying to swipe Mangus' ultra cool bamboo trekking pole. ;)

Finally, we arrive at lovely Third Stream Crossing.

After setting up camp, we went exploring the S branch of the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek.

We couldn't explore far because the canyon soon became impassible. We were however not too disappointed inasmuch as at the point of impass, there was a lovely little falls.

A good day's travel put under our belt, it was time to retire although certain young campers wanted to stay up late.

But the Siren's song of daddy's puffy Summerlite soon overcame all objections.

Alas, all good things -- and all good weekends -- must come to an end. The following morning we packed and headed for home.

My little trail angel was a bit faster than I but patiently waited for slow poke daddy to catch up. I had to carry her the first part of the hike out because she was cold and crying (poor thing was a bit overwhelmed), but she perked right up and outpaced me. Perhaps she just needed the warmth and reassurance of her daddy?

Returning to our vehicle, we re-entered "civilization," and thus ended our trip. A lovely time in the woods with my daughter. Priceless.

HJ
longcut

Post by longcut »

bamboo trekking pole. nice! Looks like you had a nice time.

tallkan
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Definitely a fun trip. My daughter enjoyed Joyce's company for sure...

At the trailhead:
--photo bottom left: Keana ready to hike
--photo bottom right: Keana helping Joyce with her laces

On the way to camp hiking with the clouds rolling in:

At camp, Joyce and Keana in my Six Moon Designs Skyscape tent:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That is super cool you guys. They look real happy. :D
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

been along time since I have been on or out, that looks like the perfect trip!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: That is super cool you guys. They look real happy. :D
Pretty fun stuff. Kids like pretty much anything where they get to hang with other kids and the adults don't mess it up. :lol:

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: been along time since I have been on or out, that looks like the perfect trip!
It's a nice hike, but the road is in really bad shape. High clearance seems like the way to go. I wouldn't even try it with my Honda Accord.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

thanks for the heads up on ground clearance, but by perfect I meant good times with the kidos! :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

longcut wrote: bamboo trekking pole. nice! Looks like you had a nice time.
It was pretty cool. Well, except for how cold and windy it was on Sunday morning. Joycie was NOT happy with that. I carried her for a while, and she perked back up and beat me back to the car.

Carrying kids is a trip. On top of Mt. Wilson last February:

~43 pounds of gear + ~35 pounds = ~78 lbs (give or take). I couldn't keep it up for long, so I'd walk for 15 or 20 minutes and then make her walk for 10 or 15 minutes. Painful but it worked. She just wasn't feeling well on the first day of our February trip.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: by perfect I meant good times with the kidos!
And that it was. Really nice weekend. Lots of games for the kids, good food, good company. Can't ask for much more. 8)

HJ
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice one, HJ. It doesn't get any better.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks. It was a fun trip, and I think that falls over there is one of the nicer ones in the San Gabs. Wish the road was in a bit better shape, but then I suppose more people would visit.

HJ